cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How to put a bar over a variable

MySchizoBuddy
1-Newbie

How to put a bar over a variable

In order to show an average variable i need to put a bar on top of it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Attached uses unicode for format the overbar.

Regards. Alvaro.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Not sure I understand what your after.

Mike

Hello Mike,

I guess Ziyad wants something like this:

Raiko

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Raiko)

Of course. I have no idea how to do that in Mathcad though. Can do it in Word!!!!!

Mike

yes thats correct

Success.

Have a look at the attached sheet. The letter can be changed at will.

Mike

you cannot assign a value to it

Opppps.

It can work on a result though. Confused.

Mike

Attached uses unicode for format the overbar.

Regards. Alvaro.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

Doesn't look quite right in Mathcad 15.

Example.gif

Mike

Yes, you're right, but I can't find something better in the unicode list, something like "back a half".

Regards. Alvaro.

mathcad doesn't support latex. that could have been used to add lot of other attributes on a letter as well

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Yes, you're right, but I can't find something better in the unicode list, something like "back a half".

It shouldn't need "back a half" though. A combining mark should line up with the previous character. I would consider the fact that it doesn't a bug in Mathcad.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RichardJ)

If you change the font from Tahoma to Times New Roman or Arial it looks OK.

Richard Jackson wrote:

If you change the font from Tahoma to Times New Roman or Arial it looks OK.

You're right. Also, doing that changes the font for the ascii variable, let's say, the 'X', but not the font for the combinable unicode embellishment. Can confirm that in two ways: changing the size by a bigger value or downsaving in mc11 format, where the code of the font is use instead the name. So, the decoration must to be selected from one unicode font that make the combination readable, considerating the font size too.

I feel that this kind of issues must to be reported and pointed in the mc help system, providing examples and good explanations.

Regards. Alvaro.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Can we safely assume that it can be done in the latter versions of Mathcad?

Mike

can mathcad prime do it?

I have just converted Alvaro's worksheet into Prime and it looks even worse. The overbar was sitting next to the X.

Mike

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/56/The_Thinker%2C_Rodin.jpg/250px-The_Thinker%2C_Rodin.jpg

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Looks like me after every Liverpool match!!!!!!

Mike

You cannot assign a value to it because it is not formatted right...get your cursor just to the right of the Xbar and then you will see the cursor become a blue reverse "L". at this point press ctrl+shift+j. this will put brackets "[]" around it and will make it available as a variable. Whenever you want to use it just make sure you repeat these steps. you can apply mathematical eqn as a variable for example [l/r]:=6. hope that helps.

Oh yeah, one more thing...you cannot assign value to it by simply pressing "=", you need to press ":"

See attached as example.

Chears

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:civilute)

Neat trick.

Same that the brackets are required though.

Mike

Ziyad,

This was requested as far back as 2002 in the old Collaboratory and has never materialised.

Danny

Top Tags