cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How to show values of variables in equation

JimV14-disabled
1-Newbie

How to show values of variables in equation

Seems to be a easy problem, but I cant figure it out.

lets say you have A:=B+C where B:=1 and C:=2

Naturally, you can easily display A=3 but is there a way to plug the values in the equation, eg showing their values instead of the variables A=1+2=3?

Working with MC14
any help is appreciated.

Jim
9 REPLIES 9

Look up the EXPLICIT keyword. Unfortunately it's pretty tough to get the substitutions to use the units you'll want for engineering equations. It's about 50% there if you ask me.

Preston

See this page in Help, "Symbolic Display of Explicit Values Before Reduction" and this page in the Tutorial under Features in Depth, "Explicit Calculation".

Preston and others, can you start a discussion on New Features, what you would like to have for Explicit? It's not slated for Mathcad Prime 1.0, but it is in the plan for Mathcad Prime 2.0, so we'll be expanding and redoing the feature.

Mona
dBoggs
1-Newbie
(To:mzeftel)

I am one of those many who have been requesting this feature for years.

When it finally showed up, I couldn't believe how difficult it was to implement. I have studied the instructions/tutorial/examples and still find it difficult to use.

The explicit feature seems to be quite powerful, and capable of doing much more than what most people have asked for. It's usage is correspondingly complex.

So, what I would like to see in a future version is not better/clearer documentation or any other kind of improved help, but rather to see it scrapped and start again from scratch.

It should be something as simple as this, and tied to the in-line evaluation feature:

"When you want in-line evaluation, instead of pressing "=" after the variable definition, press "ctrl-=". This will show the value substitutions, followed by the final result.

Of course for some value definitions, which could be complex, this could result in a large complicated expression of substituted values. The "explicit" feature offers the user some control on which variables are explicit. But most of the time this is not the case, and users don't need or want this type of custom control--they simply want ALL of the variables to be explicit.

Why start another discussion? Just look at http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?74065,85 (in the MC13 beta section),

The beta forums are only visible to users who participated in the beta testing.

Mona

I belileve that you have access to the beta forums, and that you are the one seeking information.

Tom,

I misunderstood your post since I read it out of context, as a new message. However, I was trying to start a new conversation for when we start looking at explicit for Mathcad Prime 2.0.

Thanks for pointing out the old discussion.

Mona

That kind of simple algebra hits the wall.

Real pojects are already taken into account,

since at least Mathcad 8 Pro.

jmG

Top Tags