cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

How to symbolically derive a function with respect to a function

sfan
1-Newbie

How to symbolically derive a function with respect to a function

Please see the attachment.

In Lagrange Equation for Dynamic equation,

there is a term that request the derivative of T(t) with respect to (u(t))',

I don't know how to achieve this.

Looking forward to your help!

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:sfan)

From what I see you have this (assuming your formulation is correct):

Which means you have a function T(t) which is found from the function u2(t) by first taking the derivative of u2(t) with respect to time: u'(t)=d/dt of u(t). Then square the resulting function squ'(t)=u'(t)*u'(t). Then multiply the result with a constant (assuming that a, b, and the three m's are known). This should be simple, provided that u2(t) is given...

Are you sure you don't need a second derivative of any functions u and v, rather that the first derivative squared...?

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

From what I see you have this (assuming your formulation is correct):

Which means you have a function T(t) which is found from the function u2(t) by first taking the derivative of u2(t) with respect to time: u'(t)=d/dt of u(t). Then square the resulting function squ'(t)=u'(t)*u'(t). Then multiply the result with a constant (assuming that a, b, and the three m's are known). This should be simple, provided that u2(t) is given...

Are you sure you don't need a second derivative of any functions u and v, rather that the first derivative squared...?

Success!
Luc

sfan
1-Newbie
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi, Luc

So by this step,

Capture.JPG

Is it possible to let Mathcad derive T(t) with respect to du2(t)/dt?

Which will result in:

Capture.JPG

It is to set du2(t)/dt as the argument and the others (including u2(t), if exists) as constants.

Thank you

Best

Shawn

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Hi Shawn,

No, If you feed that first expression AND u2(t) to Mathcad it will take the deriverative of u2(t), then square it and multiply the resulting function with the constant involving a, b and the three m's. The result you mention is NOT obtained.

Observe my question/comment at the end of my first reply:

Success!
Luc

Top Tags