cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How to 'undefine' a function for the purpose of symbolic calculationss

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

How to 'undefine' a function for the purpose of symbolic calculationss

I'm doing some analysis which at the moment uses an averaged value inside an integral.

It's part of a longer chain of calculation and reasoning about a system being designed. At the end I want to have an overall functional form for the performance, so I also undefine each numeric value, e.g. for the wavelength I define l:=l and then I have both symbolic evaluation and numeric evaluation.

I also have a signal transmisson 's' integral that currently uses the mean attenuation for the whole of the signal path (i.e. it's assumed constant with range), so the symbolics will 'solve' the integral, rather than leaving the integral intact. Yet I know that we will want to have a functional form for the attenuation with range s(R), so realy I need to be able to retain that functional form, and let the numeric engine handle 'real data' calculation scenarios

Can we undefine a function in mathcad? I'm using V15 M030 (MuPad engine), though can use V11.2a (Maple engine) if required.

I'll see if I can create a trimmed down, de-sensitized version of the worksheet.

Philip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It's the name of the function that you want to undfefine, so scatter:=scatter.

Actually, I'm a little surprised it works

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:PhilipOakley)

here's a worksheet.

It's the name of the function that you want to undfefine, so scatter:=scatter.

Actually, I'm a little surprised it works

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Yes, I'm suprised too. I even thought I'd tried that (and that it had failed).

But that's a magic result, especially when the numerics carries through!

Many thanks

Philip

(all it needs now is to be findable in the documentation 😉

Top Tags