cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

How to use Knovel

CKY
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

How to use Knovel

Hello,

I have just installed MathCad15, and I am curious to check the new Knovel functionality.

However, when I try to open any of the PDF files in the Knovel Library nothing happens, except getting an error message saying 'An error has occurred in the script on this page', with a reference to an ULR address on www.knovel.com.

Shall this function be activated in some way?

Help whould be appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
IRstuff
3-Visitor
(To:CKY)

Mathcad cannot open PDF files, no matter where they come from.

Knovel has specific Mathcad files for some things. THOSE can be downloaded and opened by Mathcad, for example, Roark's and Hicks have calculation sheets

CKY
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:IRstuff)

No, I know that MathCad cannot read a PDF file.

However the only place I can find any references to these new features is under the Tools menu, and if any of these three new items is selected (Knovel, Kornucopia, and Truenumbers) MathCad opens up an internet window (showing these companies homepage).

Regarding Knovel there is a second choice 'Search Technical Libraries' and also here an internet windows is opened showing different technical documents togeter with PDS links. When I try to open any of these files I receive the error message mentioned above.

Since the Help function say almost nothing on how to use this new features my questoin is; do anyone else know how to use them or is the feature only links to some homepages?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Copy the URL into your web browser and try it from there.

CKY
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:RichardJ)

Yes Richard, I have tried that, and it seems to be some problems when a link opens a new window in Microsoft Explorer. MathCad seems to use this browser, and I don't know if it can be changed to Firefox instead (which I usually use).

I will look into this problem, but I am still confused about how to use these new features of MathCad 15 (i.e. the manipulation to use them, not if they are useful or not).

Eden Mei asks about what I mean with 'new features'. Well, this is an extarct from an e-mail I received from PCT today promoting the new version of MathCad15:

What's new in MathCad 15.0:

• Direct access to Knovel Math content - ...
  • Integration with Truenumbers - ...

For me this seems to be features, and all I would like to now is how to use them and see if they have any value to me. But as I said before, I cannot find any guidance in MathCad's documentation.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Those are paid services, and you have to subscribe to them.

Supposedly, you get 1 yr subscription to Truenumbers: http://www.truenum.com/node/42

Knovel Mathcad stuff: http://why.knovel.com/solution/knovel-math.html

To work with Truenumbers, you need to follow the link from the Tools menu, register and download the Truenumbers client. It's free to MC15 users for a year. Email me at dmacdonald@truenum.com if you have any problems.

IRstuff
3-Visitor

don't know what you mean by "new features" Knovel has links to the text of the books it has online, and for some books, they have the Mathcad files with XMCD extensions. That's pretty much it.

Knovel, Truenumbers, and Kornucopia are partners of PTC for Mathcad. With the purchase or upgrade to Mathcad 15, you get discounted subscriptions to Knovel and Kornucopia. Truenumbers offers a 1 year free subscription.

Mona

Top Tags