cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Imaginary Numbers in version 14

ELSID
4-Participant

Imaginary Numbers in version 14

How do you insert an imaginary value with Mathcad 14?
I went to the help and the following does NOT work:
"Entering Imaginary Numbers To make a number imaginary, type i or j immediately following it...
If you type either i or j by itself, Mathcad treats it as a variable name and not as the imaginary unit. To enter the imaginary numbers i and j in your worksheet, you must type "1i" or "1j." The digit "1" disappears as soon as you click outside the number."
Typing 1i does not work in my worksheet.
7 REPLIES 7
mzeftel
1-Newbie
(To:ELSID)

Did you type 1i in your worksheet? You should see i after you click away, but if you click back on it, you will again see 1i. If you type 1i + 1i= you should get 2i.

Is that not working for you?

Mona
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:mzeftel)

On 10/21/2009 11:43:11 AM, MonaZ wrote:
== Did you type 1i in your worksheet? You should see i after you click away, but if you click back on it, you will again see 1i. If you type 1i + 1i= you should get 2i.
== Is that not working for you?

If it isn't then you could try loading in one of the Quicksheets that has complex numbers and see if that calculates correctly (eg, qsheet\Techniques\complex.xmcd .. or, at least that's where it is in M13)

Stuart

ELSID
4-Participant
(To:mzeftel)

HMMMM
Looks like I had a buggy sheet.
Both were typed in exactly the same, just in new sheet

Refering to your picture Formula1.jpg: i is evident "i" the variable, and not "1i" the complex, you can input i=sqrt(-1) as 1i, 2i, ... ni, but the input for pi*i must be "pi*1i".

Alvaro.
ELSID
4-Participant
(To:AlvaroDíaz)

On 10/21/2009 4:07:47 PM, adiaz wrote:
>Refering to your picture
>Formula1.jpg: i is evident "i"
>the variable, and not "1i" the
>complex, you can input
>i=sqrt(-1) as 1i, 2i, ... ni,
>but the input for pi*i must be
>"pi*1i".
>
>Alvaro.

I agree, the sheet was reading i as a variable. Except, as previously stated, that I typed it in EXACTLY the same way.

On 10/21/2009 5:08:52 PM, ElSid wrote:
>On 10/21/2009 4:07:47 PM, adiaz wrote:
>>Refering to your picture ...
>I agree, the sheet was reading i as a
>variable. Except, as previously stated,
>that I typed it in EXACTLY the same way.

Now I'm understand better what you say, mathcad "clean" your one, or something like this.

Regards. Alvaro.
IRstuff
3-Visitor
(To:ELSID)

epi*1i+1 works on my install.

TTFN,
Eden
Top Tags