cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

In lieu of repaginate + area margins acting funny

agneso
1-Newbie

In lieu of repaginate + area margins acting funny

Hey, sorry if this is repetition from some other forum question! I just started using prime 2 after using mathcad 15, and so far, let's be honest, it gets me pretty rage-y.

Two main issues to do with print to start off:

Despite all text being aligned vertically in the document, the pdf and the regular print both erased about a cm of text from the left side, but only in certain sections. Can this be a bug to do with areas?

I also wonder, if there is no repaginate function, what is the best way to ensure that text won't be horisontally cut between pages? I have a 40+ page document that I keep adding to, so can't really keep track of page breaks...

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:agneso)

I don't know about the effect of cutted off text at the left. I thought that as long as all you type stays on the checkered graph paper it will also print. But with Prime2 its often hard to say if some annoyance is a bug or if it was made on purpose because some thought its cool.

Is there a specific reason why you switched from good old MC15 to the heavily unfinished Prime2 version? Guess most people who know MC15 will stay with that version for quite some time until Prime will at least live up to MC15 - whenever that may be.

Concerning page breaks you have the same problem in MC15, I guess. Think you have to keep track of them yourself and maybe insert a hard page break (Ctrl-Enter) when appropriate.

If you have longer programs which will flow over page breaks you can insert dummy lines with empty strings "" to avoid cutting the text at page breaks (take care not to separate if and else by doing so). Its by no means satisfactory, I know.

Werner Exinger wrote:

Is there a specific reason why you switched from good old MC15 to the heavily unfinished Prime2 version?

I think we cannot use Mathcad 15 in future version of Windows

And second - see http://communities.ptc.com/polls/1141

Is there a specific reason why you switched from good old MC15 to the heavily unfinished Prime2 version?

I think we cannot use Mathcad 15 in future version of Windows

Yes, real Mathcad will die sooner or later and that's sad - hopefully later and hopefully Prime will be a useable program then. From what I hear about P3 the next Prime version will still not live up to MC as we know it for 8 years or longer. It's a shame. P3 will we as slow and uncomfortable to use as P2 and the highly praised "new" features are mostly well know for along time in Mathcad (user DLLs, templates, math in text, copy&paste, global definitions, better contour plot, same (higher) point limit in plots as in MC, minimize/maximize block, highlighting regions, ...). We will have to see how good and comfortable to use those features will be implemented but still there is a lot missing which we are used to.

But nevertheless the sad news is that Prime is the future. To be correct - the real sad about it is, that this IS a sad news.

I'm missing the "All of the above and more" button. PTC never was famous for listening to its customers and so I think that kind of polls will have no influence on the development of Prime.

Okay, thanks guys!

Re: hard page breaks, is there a known bug there? I had a situation a few days ago where I inserted a page break between two areas, scrolled up and added some stuff, scrolled down - and realised two of my areas had been superimposed! Nothing to do but manually sift out which bits of text belonged to which areas and drag them apart. Should I be wary of areas or page breaks or both?

Werner - testing it. I think, when having the choice, that I will use Mathcad 15 for as long as possible.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:agneso)

Re: hard page breaks, is there a known bug there?

Nothing I heard or read about. Personally I have not much experience with longer and (from a layout point of view) more complex sheets in Prime.

What I remember having read here is about problems with the position of inserted graphics but I don't remember if that affected Prime1 only or Prime2, too.

EDIT: Just found a thread and P2 seems to have still some problems with inserted pics http://communities.ptc.com/message/203552#203552

Maybe you should contact PTC support to report the problems you are facing.

Top Tags