cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Insert Math Region - unexpected line breaks

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

Insert Math Region - unexpected line breaks

I like the "insert math region" feature in Mathcad and use it alot (currently using 15). However lines where the feature is used tend to produce unexpected (and irritating) line breaks which then necessitates reformatting. There seems no pattern as to when or where these breaks occur. I have attached a file, the yellow regions show where this has occurred. Is there a fix for this ?

25 REPLIES 25
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Joeboy)

Line breaks?

I cannot see anything.

Mike

Sorry, I may not have been clear enough. Above I have cut and pasted two regions from the document I posted. Originall both were 1 line statements. However, as you see (I hope) the line has been broken in both cases

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I cannot see any images, please upload a screenshot if you can.

Mike

If I try to reply to your request I see no way to upload a file of any type. If I try to edit my message PTC says I'm not authorized to do so. Please help

I have attached screen shot

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Clipboard01.jpg

I see what you mean. I have just opened your file and the worksheet looks fine.

Mike

MikeArmstrong wrote:

...I have just opened your file and the worksheet looks fine...

For me too. I use [1280 x 1024] screen resolution.

nas0k
7-Bedrock

I'm not certain if this is what you mean, but if you select the region, notice the small squares along the edge of the region. These are handles that you can expand the region so that the equation & text does not wrap.

I hope this helps.

Norm

Joeboy
12-Amethyst
(To:nas0k)

Even when I do that, if I close the file and reopen it many times the lines still break

nas0k
7-Bedrock

Inserting math regions into text regions may have it's challenges.

I didn't have the problem repeat; please see the attached.

Norm

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

When you insert a math region into a text region whether or not it breaks to a new line just depends on the wifh of the text region. If you incease the width so that everything is on one line and then save the file all should be OK though. That always works for me anyway.

Joeboy
12-Amethyst
(To:RichardJ)

Thats precisely the problem I get file formatted the way I want, save it, and when its reopened I have line breaks and I have to reformat the file

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Strange. Which flavor of MC15 are you usnig?

Also, you mentioned in another thread that you are saving back to version 12 format. Is that also the case here?

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

Using M010. I'm not saving back to 12 that I'm aware of

Hi Dixie,

I had the same problem with MC 15 M005, but it wasn't related to insert math region. Mine was even in short text regions like headings. I kept stretching the text region to the right, saving, and then when I reopened, it was still wrapping.

That was awhile ago, but I think the remedy was with my screen resolution, nothing to do with Mathcad. I think I had dropped the the resolution to a lower value to get bigger icons and text. When I put things back to the recommended value, it seems to have corrected the problem. Try playing around with the pixel resolution and the text size for your display. I think you will still have to do the stretch to the right once, but if you get the resolution and text size for the display set right. it should hold.

Harvey

That was awhile ago, but I think the remedy was with my screen resolution, nothing to do with Mathcad. I think I had dropped the the resolution to a lower value to get bigger icons and text. When I put things back to the recommended value, it seems to have corrected the problem.

That's a useful observation. Mathcad has well documented (i.e documented in the forums by users, not documented by Mathsoft or PTC) problems in this regard.

Cheers for the info Harvey. Seems a little strange that the screen resolution would have an effect on a text region, and only the text regions which have Math regions inside, but hey.....

Mike

I have attached a file with the unwanted line break colored yellow. I have not changed the resolution on my system.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Could you post the Mathcad file.

I opened your file in the original post and only the line for alpha was wrapped...the other yellow highlighted lines were okay. I extended the text region to unwrap the alpha line, saved the file and reopened. It was still unwrapped.

I think the answer is still your screen resolution...mine is okay which caused the results desired. Yes, it may be a "bug" with Mathcad, but that is the fun that program developers have using the Windows operating system. It keeps them in a job.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

What is the screen resolution you have it?

Joeboy
12-Amethyst
(To:VladimirN)

1280 x 1024 as recommended

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

If you open the attached document, are the lines wrapped or unwrapped?

Joeboy
12-Amethyst

unwrapped

I think this one's ready for the PTC support team. Several people have not had a problem with your file, so it must either be the version of Mathcad, the version of the Windows system, or some other difference that we can't replicate. I would have sworn the screen resolution was the problem, but apparently not. Sorry I couldn't help.

Before doing that let me see if I can find another file where the lines are wrapped. I will post it. I'm thinking that the problem was in an earlier version of Mathcad and when those files are opened and corrected in 15 the problem goes away. Let me see if I can find a file that has been saved in 15 that exhibits wrapping.

Top Tags