cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Interesting Integrations

ChadG.
1-Newbie

Interesting Integrations

I was using the symbolic processor to calculate a very simple integration.

Header 1Header 2Header 3Header 4Header 5
Integraten.A.cos(n.x)n.B.sin(n.x)E.cos(n.x)F.sin(n.x)
MathCad-Definite integralA.sin(x.n)2.B.sin((x.n/2)^2)(E.sin(x.n))/n2.F.sin((x.n/2)^2)
Hand/CalculationA.sin(x.n)-B.cos(x.n)E.sin(n.x)/n-F.cos(n.x)/n
Mathcad-Indefinite integralA.sin(x.n)-B.cos(x.n)E.sin(n.x)/n-F.cos(n.x)/n

Is it possible to use definite integration only for case where there will be no division by zero. It is easy in this example to do it myself however if the calculation is a bit complicated (and done symblically). Is there a way to tell MathCad use definite integration as long as there is no division by zero.

Example

Integrate.bmp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chad G. wrote:

MathCad-Definite integralA.sin(x.n)2.B.sin((x.n/2)^2)(E.sin(x.n))/n2.F.sin((x.n/2)^2)

Given that cos(A) = 1-2,sin(A/2)^2, if you are integrating from 0 to x, the definite integral expressions in your table are correct (if a little unexpected!).

Is it possible to use definite integration only for case where there will be no division by zero. It is easy in this example to do it myself however if the calculation is a bit complicated (and done symblically). Is there a way to tell MathCad use definite integration as long as there is no division by zero.

You could use a programmed function to test the value of n and only call the integral (defined earlier as a function) if it is non-zero.

Alan

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Chad G. wrote:

Given that cos(A) = 1-2,sin(A/2)^2, if you are integrating from 0 to x, the definite integral expressions in your table are correct (if a little unexpected!).

You could use a programmed function to test the value of n and only call the integral (defined earlier as a function) if it is non-zero.

Alan

Top Tags