Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interpolation

SOLVED

Re: Interpolation

Yeah sorry I needed to clarify that.  I am only using the wind speed 110 mph.  The rest I am ignoring. 

My point was that each column (except for the first one and the first element of each column) is constant.  So for any slope but the first and any zone but the first the value for a zone is independent of slope.

So you need to treat zone 1, but for zones 2 thru 5 you only need to interpolate on height.

wrote:

Yeah sorry I needed to clarify that.  I am only using the wind speed 110 mph.  The rest I am ignoring. 

Too late, I was just about to prepare a sheet with a subset of the necessary values to demonstrate in more detail what I was talking about. If you don't need other velocities you would set up the matrices differently. Only 10 8x7 matrices and using 2D interpolation 10 times.

Furthermore I also noticed that you have a lot of constant values in your tables. You may use this to simplify the calculation as Fred suggested. You just provided data for heights from 15 to 40 and are missing the values for heights from 50 to 80 from the full table (or do you ignore those heights, too?).

For whatever it may be worth now here is what I had prepared.

Its just one of the 10 3D-tables (only for Load case 1 and Zone 2) and I did not use the full range for heights and velocities.

Look at the attached sheet, maybe you find something you can use.

For the values you used for data_clz2 where exactly did you get them from the table.  I know its for case 1 and zone 2 but I am lost as towards what heights and wind speeds specifically they're from. 

As for the other heights, yeah I am not going to be using them just because for my scope of work many of my projects are not past that height so I was trying to save time and input everything.  Same thing for wind speed the other's do not apply to my state. 

The values in data_clz2 were taken from the picture of the table you posted.

First rows are corresponding to 30 ft and second row to 40 ft

Columns correspond to speed 110, 115, 120 and for every slope there is its own 2x3 matrix.

As written earlier this is my attempt to simulate a 3-dimensional matrix which MC unfortunately does not support.

But as you are only interested in speed 110 mph a simple 2D interpolation is all it takes. And as you are not interested in heights greater than 40, the attached approach which uses the data matrices you provided should do the job.

View solution in original post

This is some very complex stuff to comprehend.  But it works and it is much simpler than what I was doing before.  Thanks! 

Announcements