cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Inverse function based or cordinates

retvigkasper
3-Visitor

Inverse function based or cordinates

Hello

I have 42 x and y variables where an regression are made. Now i need make an reverse function of this. How and can some help + explain how it is done so i can make it by myself in the future !!!

Thanks

Regards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:retvigkasper)

Ah, you need a little more than the inverse. You want your function mirrored over a line.

Here's how to do it for a straight line through 0,0:

(I did this in Mathcad, not Prime; you should be able to recreate it in Prime)

LM_20171129_Mirror.png

There's one extra parameter (p) to the mirror line function m. You can play with that and see how the results change.

Success!
Luc

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

File cant be uploaded so an google drive link here.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Z1w0hKn-I5gotgrn3dEq7ZeFJoe5JRef

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

To attach your worksheet:

There's a bug on this forum that often causes a failure to attach a worksheet. You then need to ZIP it first.

To zip, in Windows explorer select the worksheet file, then with the right-mous button select 'Send to'=> 'compressed (zipped) folder' the resulting .zip file can be attached.

Success!
Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Now to your question.

Since you know the forward function, to get the inverse function you can try to solve for x with known value of y, either symbolically or numerically.

Since it's a 4th order function, you won't like the symbolic solution, if Prime is willing to provide it at all.

(I'm limited to Express Prime = no symbolics) Here's a small part of the results using Mathcad 11:

LM_20171128_InverseSymbolic.png

(Note that:

- I've made sure that all constants are integers, to prevent extremely wide real numbers, by multiplying both sides of the equation with 100.

- This picture shows only a small part of two of the four possible solutions. And most probably only one, or two of the solutions give real answers; the others giving complex answers. )

Another way that even works in Express Prime is to use the root function (look it up in the help!):

LM_20171128_Inverse.png

(I've set the upper limit for x-values to 11, to assure that all values are found on the defined part of the graph. If you need larger x due to larger y, just increase that value above 11)

Success!
Luc

Mabi i explayned myself a bit wrong. I uploaded a new file with a paint picture of how it shud look like. I tryed the inv function and dosent help me, with the thing i want 😞 

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Ah, you need a little more than the inverse. You want your function mirrored over a line.

Here's how to do it for a straight line through 0,0:

(I did this in Mathcad, not Prime; you should be able to recreate it in Prime)

LM_20171129_Mirror.png

There's one extra parameter (p) to the mirror line function m. You can play with that and see how the results change.

Success!
Luc

Sweat.... you nailed it 😄 thanks a lot

Top Tags