Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iregular polygon-area

SOLVED
Highlighted

Iregular polygon-area

Hi,

How can I determine the area and center of mass of a polygon knowing the coordinates of its points? the lenght of the segment 01 and the angle between lines 05 and 45?

Thank you,

Gabriel

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Iregular polygon-area

For whatever it may be worth, here is a much more compact version of the intersect() routine. One of those "why didn't I thought of that before" things.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

Here's one way:

Here's another way.

Alan

May I join the session?

Here is a third way 😉

29.04.png

Well done Werner. Fred and I both forgot about the CofG part!

Alan

Well done Werner. Fred and I both forgot about the CofG part!

Looks like we all forgot about the second question

the lenght of the segment 01 and the angle between lines 05 and 45?

but I am not quite sure about this question, especially as the first part seems too trivial.

29.04.png

Thank you gentlemen,

I'm not a regular matchad user, but whenever I search on this forum I see solutions from some of you guys. Thank you for sharing your experiece with us!

Werner, the angle was part of a second questions. It will follow. Now I have to run to a meeting.

regards,

Gabriel

I tried, without any success, to extend the solutions proposed so that I can account for the variability of the angle alfa. I inserted an explanatory figure at the end of the worksheet. If alfa is 0 line 05 is horizontal. The top limit of alfa is defined by joining points 4 and 5. I would like to define alfa as a incremental variable within these limits. Line 45 has fixed slope (beta angle).

The idea is to make point 5 run on the 45 line and consequently generate values of the area and center of gravity for a fixed increment of alfa.

E.g. if alfa ranges between 0 and 10 deg, I would like to calculate for each degree of alfa the area and center of mass.

Thank you for all your good input.

Greetings,

Gabriel

With thanks to Werner for doing the hard work:

Its not fully clear from your description - do you want the line 45 run through the point (L/0) or do you want that the angle 054 at the variable point 5 to be a given value beta?

I guess its the first scenario and L should be the sum of L1 to L4 (divided by x.scale) and the angle at point 5 will vary.

In the second case point 5 would move on a circle and L.4 would be obsolete, so I guess this is not what you are supposed to do.