cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Irrational Number and Solving Equation.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Irrational Number and Solving Equation.

Hello everyone,

I have a question and wish learning. It's about "Irrational Number and Solving Equation".

(1).PNG

(2).PNG

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Loi,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:lvl107)

sqrt(x)-floor(sqrt(x)) is the non-integer part of sqrt(x). You know that is equal to the right hand side, or to sqrt(7)-2. So you can generate other solutions just be adding an integer to that number.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

Your equation requires that the decimal part of sqrt(x) be equal to the expression on the right hand side. However, since there is nothing to specify what the integer part of sqrt(x) has to be, your equation has an infinite number of possible solutions.

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:RichardJ)

Thanks for your suggestion, Richard.

Following up the suggestion, above. Checking with x=6; x=7; x=8. We have:

substitute,x=6,False.PNGx=6,False.PNG

substitute,x=7,True.PNGx=7,True.PNG

subtitute,x=8,False.PNGx=8,False.PNG

So x=7 is the one of the solutions. And the rests of the solutions are the question.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Loi.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

sqrt(x)-floor(sqrt(x)) is the non-integer part of sqrt(x). You know that is equal to the right hand side, or to sqrt(7)-2. So you can generate other solutions just be adding an integer to that number.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

I got it. Many, many thanks, Richard. And I have one more related question in "Mathcad Usage". Is there a press button, doing the following:

1.PNG transpose ---> 2.PNG

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Loi.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

No, sorry. You can go from the one on the right to the one on the left just by evaluating symbolically, but I don't think there is a way to reverse it.

lvl107
20-Turquoise

Thanks again, Richard.

Best regards,

Loi.

SteenGroðe
6-Contributor

Just a bit more (all in version 11.2)

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:SteenGroðe)

I greatly appreciate your help, Steen. I have comprehended that as the following:

Transpose-confract-sqrt(61).PNG

(61).PNG

Many thanks, Steen.

Regards,

Loi.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

So x=7 is the one of the solutions. And the rests of the solutions are the question.

Is that you sending love to Richard????

Mike

http://communities.ptc.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-149416-2532/bar_anim.gif

lvl107
20-Turquoise
(To:MikeArmstrong)

Sorry, Mike. It's a half due to my English and a half due to accidentally hit key.

1.PNG 2.PNG

Thanks for reminding me.

Regards,

Loi.

Top Tags