cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Is it possible to solve a variable inside a matrix? Like an Eigenvalue problem where the determinant of a matrix should be equal to zero and a variable is to be solved inside the matrix.

kcultura
1-Newbie

Is it possible to solve a variable inside a matrix? Like an Eigenvalue problem where the determinant of a matrix should be equal to zero and a variable is to be solved inside the matrix.

I'm solving the natural frequency of a structure. Pleas help. See attached file. How to do this in Mathcad Prime 3.0?

4 REPLIES 4
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:kcultura)

I can't do it in Prime (limited by Express), but here's how to do it (Using Mathcad 11), Prime should be similar.

Your problem is like:

Then to solve for omega:

Success!
Luc

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

eigenvals.jpg

on the other side, results:

So, what is the solution? Who knows?

Luc showed one way and this seems to answer your question about solving for a variable used in a matrix.

It uses Mathcads symbolics because using a numeric solve block would only give you one solution, depending on a guess value.

For your specific example you could also use the built-in function "genvals".

Anyway I get quite the same results as Luc and they differ from the values given in your picture!??

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

eigenvals3.jpg

Top Tags