cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Is there a way to see what is behind a Built in function?

rubenvillarreal
13-Aquamarine

Is there a way to see what is behind a Built in function?

I am learning programming in mathcad, I think that a good approach is to see the algorithm of some built in functions. Is there a way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ruben Alejandro Villarreal Barrios wrote:

I am learning programming in mathcad, I think that a good approach is to see the algorithm of some built in functions. Is there a way to do this?

Unless you have access to the source code of Prime (which is unlikely, I guess) - no.

And it sure won't help you learning programming in Mathcad or Prime, as those built-in functions are not written in Primes programming language.

If you look in the "Custom Functions" folder in the installation directory of Prime, you see an example to implement your own custom function using C as programming language.

You find a little bit of information about custom functions in the help

but again - it will not help you learning how to use Primes worksheet level programming language.

But the help provides some other tutorials on this subject, if you are interested.

WE

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

What function do you would like study?

See please in Mathcad 15 what is built in the find function

root function with 4  arguments

Video Link : 1468

root function with 2  arguments

Video Link : 1466

Rkfixed function

Etc

Anyone available! But I prefer the solve functions (lsolve, roots, polyroots...) I am using Mathcad Prime. I don't know if I am asking something illegal by the way...

Ruben Alejandro Villarreal Barrios wrote:

Unless you have access to the source code of Prime (which is unlikely, I guess) - no.

And it sure won't help you learning programming in Mathcad or Prime, as those built-in functions are not written in Primes programming language.

If you look in the "Custom Functions" folder in the installation directory of Prime, you see an example to implement your own custom function using C as programming language.

You find a little bit of information about custom functions in the help

but again - it will not help you learning how to use Primes worksheet level programming language.

But the help provides some other tutorials on this subject, if you are interested.

WE

Back in the days when Mathcad was still owned by Mathsoft AND the handbooks provided with it would provide usefull information, the handbook used to have a section explaining the method that was used to implement a specific mathematical function. Often the explanation would refer to the "Handbook of mathematical functions" by Abramowitz and Stegun.

I think today PTC would state that the implementation of Prime's mathematical functions is their IP (Intellectual Property), and not to be disclosed.

Luc

In the old "Mathcad 11 User's Guide" has been given a description of all built-in functions of the program with an specifying of algorithms is used in their and provides a reference links. See "Chapter 16 Functions" and "Appendix L: References" (for references details) in attached PDF.

Top Tags