cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Is this the end of the line for Mathcad?

jiCavers
2-Guest

Is this the end of the line for Mathcad?

There seems to be a big problem for Mathcad users, now that Windows XP is disappearing into the past. Most of us have years of valuable Mathcad programs, and the only way to convert them to Prime is through a conversion utility in Mathcad 15 (instead of in Prime). But Mathcad 15 won't install easily on Windows 7 or 8 - from discussion on this site, it involves a lot of complicated and time-consuming work, with no guarantee of success.
* Inference 1: Do all your conversions now, while you still have a working version 15 on Windows XP or another older OS.

Unfortunately, I read that Prime 2.0 still lacks a large number of the features that made Mathcad 15 valuable, so your converted programs might not work in Prime.
* Inference 2: Your prior work will be useable only as long as you keep a working computer running older Windows. Clearly, that approach has a limited life.
* Inference 3: Even new work using Prime will be stunted, because it's not yet a platform for serious work.

Have I got this wrong? Is there a credible way forward, after all? Because an uncomfortable fourth inference might be that this is the end of the line for Mathcad.

72 REPLIES 72
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Werner_E)

MIA ... Missing In Action ??

Yes.

Oct 2012, the Product Manager and the Director of Product Management.

Oct 2013, the Director of Product Strategy.

I am sure the first two did not leave by choice. I am fairly sure that's true of the third too, but I am not certain of it.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardJ)

Oct 2013, the Director of Product Strategy.

Coinciding with Prime 3.0 release?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

We have seen changes through this forum over the past 6 months so something does seem to be happening behind the scenes.

Maybe with the lack of information regarding beta testing Prime 4.0 we may see some big changes. I cannot see Prime 4.0 being released in October like Prime 3.0 was last year.

Any changes to the forum are probably due to Dan leaving. I am sure he left by choice though. He's currently Enterprise Community manager at Analog Devices.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

He was on here a few days ago, as a collab though

Hello,

I use Mathsoft MathCad since version 2.1 for DOS.

Every year, I put the new version update and whenever there was a change in the program

and most other programs added.

But since 2006 it's different if it is not the arrival of the MartcadPrime release.

You can not compare it with Maple, which is found integrated into a version of MathCad.

I also have Maple, MathCad but I prefer the calculations with the units, but it may be a habit.

Cordially.

Denis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathsoft

Not sure what your point is?

May be this is the end of the line for Mathcad and start of the line for SMath?

Elsevier/Knovel don't want to work with Prime - see

http://communities.ptc.com/message/238467#238467

and

http://communities.ptc.com/polls/1472

I like Prime, but I do not like this:

Prime12345.png

Isn't there a current thread asking whether or not an infinite series converges?? It's like that.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ValeryOchkov)

Which axis is which Valery

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Which axis is which Valery

Y axis:

- New tools in new version of Prime

- My interest to Prime

etc

Top Tags