Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IsScalar

Highlighted

Re: IsScalar

jean Giraud wrote:

That's all what it accounts for: disambiguation between the book definition

What book defintion? There is no book definition of a range variable. Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to say.

This is not a scalar ... There must be an array in there

What have arrays got to do with it? A range variable is not an array either.

Highlighted

The Mathcad structure is hybrid. If the construct is scalar and the end issue must be array There must be an array in there. Vice versa, if the construct is discretized and it wants scalar This is not a scalar. Book definition = Wiki or else [Webster, Oxford, Larousse ..]

Highlighted

The Mathcad world is not only made up of scalars and arrays. A range variable is neither.

Highlighted

jean Giraud wrote:

The Mathcad structure is hybrid. If the construct is scalar and the end issue must be array There must be an array in there. Vice versa, if the construct is discretized and it wants scalar This is not a scalar. Book definition = Wiki or else [Webster, Oxford, Larousse ..]

AFAICT, as Richard says, a 'range variable' is neither a scalar nor an array. It is a variable that contains a 'range definition'. Mathcad treats the variable differently according to where the range variable is located. Very roughly, ...

Case 1: top-level worksheet

When Mathcad evaluates a worksheet and encounters a range variable outside of a program, it iterates the expression for each value of the implied sequence of values defined by the range definition.

Case 2: in a program

A variable containing a range definition is treated as just that - a variable containing a piece of data; Mathcad does not automatically iterate over it and will generate an error if you try to use it as at worksheet level. However, it can be used as a 'for loop' parameter.

Highlighted

Stuart! You have been very quiet recently!

I think the contrast etc of your Avatar could do with some adjustment. I thought it was just a gray / grey square to begin with!

Highlighted

Hello Stuart !

Nice to see you back in the jungle.

"AFAICT, as Richard says, a 'range variable' is neither a scalar nor an array. It is a variable that contains a 'range definition'. Mathcad treats the variable differently according to where the range variable is located. Very roughly, ... "

The three of us are saying the same thing, in different words. I was trying at disambiguation for the cases of the error message. The This is not a scalarerror message is not even listed ! at least for last 10 years since my first Mathcad 8 pro. The matter is to help the readers of this thread and the recovery from the search tag. The variable range is in term of Mathsoft an operator but a very powerful operator, even a state logic operator (sort of), all for best using the power of Mathcad ... clearly then, like you say Richard is saying a 'range variable' is neither a scalar nor an array, simply an operator associated with all meanings of this operator. In that dscussion, you take the gravel road to Rome [Richard too, maybe more collabs], I take the TGV and wait for you at the fountain ... one day you arrive ...Hello collabs !

Jean

you take the gravel road to Rome [Richard too, maybe more collabs], I take the TGV

I have a very fast donkey!

horse30.gif

Highlighted

Richard Jackson wrote:

Stuart! You have been very quiet recently!

Yes. Minor drug side effect that leaves me feeling sleepier than Epimenides or Rip Van Winkle - scares the heck out of my bus passengers, but their screams tend to wake me up at opportune moments .

I think the contrast etc of your Avatar could do with some adjustment. I thought it was just a gray / grey square to begin with!

But it is just a gray/grey square. You're not seeing stars in it, are you? A sure sign of mind control. I note from your Profile image that, whereas you obviously have the correct eyewear, you seem to be neglecting the tin-foil hat.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/ali2.jpg

Highlighted

you seem to be neglecting the tin-foil hat.

A proper tin-foil hat has a propeller!

Highlighted

Oops, actually I am. Is it too late for me?

It's either a spiral galaxy or a squid doing a pirouette. There's some sort of coded message at the bottom of the image. I suspect that it's a warning to not stare at the image for too long...

Announcements