cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

IsScalar

jeanGiraud
1-Newbie

IsScalar

bar_anim.gif

jmG

22 REPLIES 22
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:jeanGiraud)

Jean,

Scalars - You have enlightened me with your explanation.

I have only once found a valid application for the IsScalar function, see attached image. This was a function Stuart produced called 'Setcount'. Might be worth supplying a few examples of using the function so other collabs can follow.

Mike

Jean, Scalars - You have enlightened me with your explanation

Here attached, the supplementary example of the range to vector converter from Stuart. "IsScalar" is usually paired with "matchNaN" and "markNaN". .. "FilterNaN". You may want to detect/decide about the outliers in a data set, mark them "markNan", then apply If IsScalar (matchNaN) and get rid of the outliers . This application is detailed in the DAEP [Data Analysis Extension Pack]. If you don't have that Pack, I could eventually reproduce it .

Have you zoomed down your image ?

Can't read, can't zoom + ...

Zoom is an irreversible destructive process.

It should not even exist. Only applicable if

the original is in hand, otherwise ... zap !

Jean

Here is the function.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Jean,

I can zoom in and out on the image without a problem. Have you got a middle mouse scroll button?

Cheers for the worksheet.

Mike

Mike,

The middle mouse scroll buton, does scroll the page up/down.

It has nothing to do with an image. A zoomed down image

has lost pixels, those pixels don't fly in air, they don't exist

anymore in no kind of world. Nothing will recover except gadgets.

But what you haven't uploaded to PTC data base is not going to

come back for any collab. If you have set your Windows to

retrieve before downsampling, that is personal.

Your image is twice the file size as mine for the same " x "

screen size, totally destroyed. Mine is perfectly uploaded

and so perfectly readable. Your image is a congregation

of flies diarrhoea.

Jean

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Jean,

By holding the control button the middle mouse scroll can be used as a zoom tool. I understand that a zoomed down image looses quality, but even when zoomed into the image it can be seen clearly enough.

Your image is a congregation

of flies diarrhoea.

Jean

Noting like a bit of constructive criticism, hey!!!

The image was create using the following steps.

• Mathcad file printed to pdf.
  • Snapshot of the required region and pasted into Infanview.
  • Save as a *.gif file
  • Upload to the forum.

Mike

• Mathcad file printed to pdf.
  • Why do you put bullets ?
  • Can't remove bullets
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

A range variable is not a scalar. A scalar is a single number. A range variable contains three pieces of information: start, increment, and end. If you use a range variable as a function argument, it does not pass the range variable to the function. It evaluates the function for each value defined by the range variable, so what is passed to the function is a sequence of scalars (so still not a scalar, but a sequence of scalars!). This is true for any function, including IsScalar. So what you get is a series of 1s as the result. If you pass a range value to IsScalar what you get as a result is 0.

IsScalar of range.gif

Richard,

We are saying the same thing except that you are wrong !

>A range variable is not a scalar < [Richard]

In Mathcad, the range variable, i.e: the argument is a scalar [Jean]

That's all what it accounts for: disambiguation between the book definition and the Mathcad logical test vis the applicable numerical algorithms. I'm glad we have these two, side by side. So many, too many This is not a scalar ... There must be an array in there have been corrected in the former Mathcad collab. It might be a good idea to collect more of This is not a scalar.

Thanks for reading and collaboration.

Jean

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

jean Giraud wrote:

That's all what it accounts for: disambiguation between the book definition

What book defintion? There is no book definition of a range variable. Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to say.

This is not a scalar ... There must be an array in there

What have arrays got to do with it? A range variable is not an array either.

The Mathcad structure is hybrid. If the construct is scalar and the end issue must be array There must be an array in there. Vice versa, if the construct is discretized and it wants scalar This is not a scalar. Book definition = Wiki or else [Webster, Oxford, Larousse ..]

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

The Mathcad world is not only made up of scalars and arrays. A range variable is neither.

jean Giraud wrote:

The Mathcad structure is hybrid. If the construct is scalar and the end issue must be array There must be an array in there. Vice versa, if the construct is discretized and it wants scalar This is not a scalar. Book definition = Wiki or else [Webster, Oxford, Larousse ..]

AFAICT, as Richard says, a 'range variable' is neither a scalar nor an array. It is a variable that contains a 'range definition'. Mathcad treats the variable differently according to where the range variable is located. Very roughly, ...

Case 1: top-level worksheet

When Mathcad evaluates a worksheet and encounters a range variable outside of a program, it iterates the expression for each value of the implied sequence of values defined by the range definition.

Case 2: in a program

A variable containing a range definition is treated as just that - a variable containing a piece of data; Mathcad does not automatically iterate over it and will generate an error if you try to use it as at worksheet level. However, it can be used as a 'for loop' parameter.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

Stuart! You have been very quiet recently!

I think the contrast etc of your Avatar could do with some adjustment. I thought it was just a gray / grey square to begin with!

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

Stuart! You have been very quiet recently!

Yes. Minor drug side effect that leaves me feeling sleepier than Epimenides or Rip Van Winkle - scares the heck out of my bus passengers, but their screams tend to wake me up at opportune moments .

I think the contrast etc of your Avatar could do with some adjustment. I thought it was just a gray / grey square to begin with!

But it is just a gray/grey square. You're not seeing stars in it, are you? A sure sign of mind control. I note from your Profile image that, whereas you obviously have the correct eyewear, you seem to be neglecting the tin-foil hat.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/rahimi/helmet/ali2.jpg

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:StuartBruff)

you seem to be neglecting the tin-foil hat.

A proper tin-foil hat has a propeller!

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:RichardJ)

Richard Jackson wrote:

you seem to be neglecting the tin-foil hat.

A proper tin-foil hat has a propeller!

True, but in an emergency one can do without - the NSA specification gives good results even without the rotating quantum concentrator.

Remember: Shiny Side = Outside

Oops, actually I am. Is it too late for me?

It's either a spiral galaxy or a squid doing a pirouette. There's some sort of coded message at the bottom of the image. I suspect that it's a warning to not stare at the image for too long...

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II
(To:IRstuff)

Eden Mei wrote:

Oops, actually I am. Is it too late for me?

It's either a spiral galaxy or a squid doing a pirouette. There's some sort of coded message at the bottom of the image. I suspect that it's a warning to not stare at the image for too long...

Way too late, I'm afraid; most people see soap suds disappearing down a plug hole.

The coded message puts a meme into the observor's mind that makes them look for meaning. Another common symptom is wondering how an antenna works in terms of quantum mechanics/photons.

Stuart Bruff wrote:

The coded message puts a meme into the observor's mind that makes them look for meaning. Another common symptom is wondering how an antenna works in terms of quantum mechanics/photons.

Oh yeah, way too late, then. I actually am embarking on an effort to look at ghost imaging, entanglement, non-locality, weak measurements, etc.

TTFN

Hello Stuart !

Nice to see you back in the jungle.

"AFAICT, as Richard says, a 'range variable' is neither a scalar nor an array. It is a variable that contains a 'range definition'. Mathcad treats the variable differently according to where the range variable is located. Very roughly, ... "

The three of us are saying the same thing, in different words. I was trying at disambiguation for the cases of the error message. The This is not a scalarerror message is not even listed ! at least for last 10 years since my first Mathcad 8 pro. The matter is to help the readers of this thread and the recovery from the search tag. The variable range is in term of Mathsoft an operator but a very powerful operator, even a state logic operator (sort of), all for best using the power of Mathcad ... clearly then, like you say Richard is saying a 'range variable' is neither a scalar nor an array, simply an operator associated with all meanings of this operator. In that dscussion, you take the gravel road to Rome [Richard too, maybe more collabs], I take the TGV and wait for you at the fountain ... one day you arrive ...Hello collabs !

Jean

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

you take the gravel road to Rome [Richard too, maybe more collabs], I take the TGV

I have a very fast donkey!

horse30.gif

Top Tags