cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Keying in Symbolics into a Program

ptc-4310378
1-Newbie

Keying in Symbolics into a Program

Am trying to duplicate a program written by WE in discussion http://communities.ptc.com/message/178339, to include Symbolics into a Program, but am not clear about the keying sequence, please see attached.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:ptc-4310378)

OK. I see. What you want to do will work fine. You can even delete the second line of your program (the "A").

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

You can't key it in because the structure is not allowed. Symbolic evaluations are not allowed within programs. They were allowed in version 11 and earlier, but not any more. Even then, the only way to create them was cut and paste.

Thanks for the bad news.......

Strange enough, it seems to be working for this one "Symbolic Only" Ei function (attached), using the cut&paste method....Are there any exceptions to the "Not Allowed" rule?

Do you see any downside using the program as is?

Thank you.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I am a little surprised it lets you do that. So it seems you can evaluate a symbolic expression inside a program, but you cannot subsequently use the result of that evaluation in the program (which arguably makes it pointless evaluating it in the first place!). Inn the attached worksheet the last two programs work in MC11, but not in later versions.

Am running the Ei Symbolic Function through the program to be able to define it at a function that can be used in another function, as I don't know how to do that using its original Symbolics format only. So the lack of further usefulness within a program shouldn't be detrimental for this purpose?

Thanks again.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

OK. I see. What you want to do will work fine. You can even delete the second line of your program (the "A").

Not much of a surprise after your attached examples of failed programs, but this "programmed" function doesn't want to be called either!

I guess I will try to look at interpolating on a curve fit over the range of interest.

Thanks for the help. Saved me from wasting too much time on that.

PS: The Ei function is not available in 2001.......

Top Tags