cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

LUSK_Area by Coordinates.mcdx

FredLusk
12-Amethyst

LUSK_Area by Coordinates.mcdx

UPDATE 2014-01-15:  The current version of this Mathcad Prime 3.0 worksheet (along with a .pdf copy for users of older versions of Mathcad) can be found in the Civil Engineering section.  This version (i.e. in the main documents section) will not be updated further.--FEL

========================

Greetings, everyone…

Although I am relatively new to this community, I figured it was time to start sharing my expertise, modest though it may be.  I am slowly converting and upgrading my Mathcad 8 Standard worksheets and quite a few Excel spreadsheets to Mathcad Prime 3.0.  Some of these will remain proprietary, but most (dozens, in fact) will be sharable.  As I get them done, I will upload the sharable ones here.  I hope my worksheets will benefit the other members of this community.  This is my first worksheet upload; by the time I'm done, you will be tired of me. 

First, let me introduce myself.  I am a California licensed civil (usually ) engineer with 33 years of experience.  My background is mostly in municipal infrastructure, but I also have significant experience with correctional institutions (design, not residency ) and reinforced concrete.  I have been using Mathcad since the first Windows version (v3.0 IIRC), although I did a trial of the last DOS version right before the first Windows version hit the streets.  I made each upgrade until v8.0 Standard.  That version had/has just about everything I needed.  Regardless, after that, my bosses weren't willing to pay the increasing upgrade costs for a program I only used intermittently and no one else in the office ever touched.  Now that I have my own company and MC 8.0 Standard was getting flaky under Windows 7, I decided it was time to make the quantum leap to MC Prime 3.0.  With a few exceptions (e.g. the lack of paragraph styles, a spell checkers, etc.), I am not greatly concerned that MC Prime 3,0 is missing things that MC 15.0 has.  I know that the difference are critical to many of you, but to me they're not.

I recently completed the civil and structural design for a secondary containment structure for four chemical storage tanks, perimeter traffic slabs, and appurtenances.  For the first time in my career, I did all of the engineering calculations in Mathcad, except for the use of specialty structural programs for the foundation slab and retaining walls and for the hydrology.  Unfortunately, I had to use MC 8.0 Standard because MC Prime 3.0 was a couple months too late.  The only thing I used Excel for on this project is the fee proposal and construction cost estimate.  The calculations totaled about 100 pages of Mathcad and about 100 pages of printouts from the other programs.  Because Mathcad presents calculations and not just answers, these calculations sailed through the reviewing agency…except for one anchor bolt calculation they couldn't find even after I told them twice where it was.   That's why I had put tabs between the various calculations when I bound them for submittal.

Because of my interest and experience, most of my worksheets will be for civil engineering, as is this one.  Actually, this worksheet deals with a surveying problem, but since surveying and civil engineering are deeply intertwined, calling this a civil engineering document is not out-of-place.  I have some interesting (to me) non-civil engineering worksheets that I will share as I get to them.

The math in most of my worksheets is limited to numerical solutions using algebra and trigonometry, with only the occasional use of calculus or symbolic math.  I haven't found a use for complex numbers, Bessel functions, Fourier Transforms, etc. in my corner of civil engineering.

So, what does this worksheet do?  This worksheet finds the area within a rectilinear boundary using the coordinates of the boundary's vertex points.

BTW, I won't normally bore you with a long preamble.  This was just for purpose of introducing myself.

Fred

2 REPLIES 2

You might consider posting these worksheets in the Civil Engineer forums Documents section:

http://communities.ptc.com/community/mathcad/civil_engineering?view=documents, if for no other reason than to not get swamped and pushed down the stack in the main Mathcad forum's Documents section.

TTFN

FredLusk
12-Amethyst
(To:FredLusk)

Thanks, Arbiter.  I did not know that there a separate upload for the different sections.  I figured the tags took care of that.  That's what I get for not fully investigating all the little corners of this website.  Anyway, I will repost as you suggested.

Top Tags