cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

LUSK_IDF Curves.mcdx

FredLusk
12-Amethyst

LUSK_IDF Curves.mcdx

UPDATE 2014-01-15:  The current version of this Mathcad Prime 3.0 worksheet (along with a .pdf copy for users of older versions of Mathcad) can be found in the Civil Engineering section.  This version (i.e. in the main documents section) will not be updated further.--FEL

========================

Rainfall IDF (Intensity-Duration-Frequency) Curves are used in hydrology calculations to convert the Time of Concentration (Tc) to the appropriate Rainfall Intensity (i).  IDF curves are available from a variety of sources, including state and local agencies, in electronic or paper formats.  Most published IDF curves are in the form i=k*Tc^m , where k is positive and m is negative.

The purpose of this worksheet is to "reverse engineer" the equations for up to three IDF curves from scaled measurements made on paper IDF charts (= graphs).  Logarithmic interpolation is used to determine the values for two points on each curve, then power functions are fitted to each pair of points.  See LUSK_Logarithmic Interpolation.mcdx for the basic technique.  Finally, using the calculated coefficients for these power functions as a guide, the user can select rounded off coefficients to employ in future calculations.

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags