Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legacy MathCAD files on 90's vintage McIntosh

doc

Legacy MathCAD files on 90's vintage McIntosh

I have several legacy PCB layouts pertaining to be MathCAD files on an old McIntosh computer. I need to recover these files and convert them to Gerber format. The original MathCAD program is no longer on the machine, and in fact I am unsure whether the old program is even really an earlier release of the same "MathCAD" that PTC currently sells. Is there anybody out there who can perhaps peek at one of the files and tell me?
8 REPLIES 8

RE: Legacy MathCAD files on 90's vintage McIntosh

Mathcad is a mathematical programming environment, and as far as I know there has never been a Mac version. What you have is almost certainly not a Mathcad file, but if yo go to this forum: http://collab.mathsoft.com/~mathcad2000 you can upload a file and someone can look at it (or, more likely, fail to look at it). Richard

Oh Yes There Was... a Mac version. I had V3 for Mac. The mac(hine) is still in the loft. The files (i.e. any you have) should be still readable (but not by the very latest version 14). I think that V11 will read them OK, so if you don't have the programme itself, post them onto the collaboratory http://collab.mathsoft.com/~Mathcad2000 and ask for them to be re-saved as V11 (.mcd format) and as V14 (.xmcdz compressed, + settings to no images) so you have newer reference copies. The code should still go/run just fine. Philip

Just a thought. MathCAD and Gerber are different beasts for different jobs. Double check whether the files are PCB layout or computations about a layout. The former is Gerber, the latter is Mathcad. Philip

"Philip Oakley" wrote:

Oh Yes There Was... a Mac version. I had V3 for Mac. The mac(hine) is still in the loft. The files (i.e. any you have) should be still readable (but not by the very latest version 14). I think that V11 will read them OK, so if you don't have the programme itself, post them onto the collaboratory http://collab.mathsoft.com/~Mathcad2000 and ask for them to be re-saved as V11 (.mcd format) and as V14 (.xmcdz compressed, + settings to no images) so you have newer reference copies. The code should still go/run just fine. Philip

A Mac version! Guess I was wrong. Richard

There was a MAC version and the latest was version 6. And any Mathcad later than version 5 will probably be able to open and read the files regardless version.

Re: Legacy MathCAD files on 90's vintage McIntosh

"Mike Morgan" wrote:

I have several legacy PCB layouts pertaining to be MathCAD files on an old McIntosh computer. I need to recover these files and convert them to Gerber format. The original MathCAD program is no longer on the machine, and in fact I am unsure whether the old program is even really an earlier release of the same "MathCAD" that PTC currently sells. Is there anybody out there who can perhaps peek at one of the files and tell me?

Highlighted

Mathcad vs gerbers

I'm pretty sure you're misreading the file extension. I get this all the time on my PC. To every product design engineer in the country ".STL" is a Stereolithography file, but to microsoft monkeys it's a "Secure Trust License". I think you're probably looking in the wrong place, try reading the file in a hex editor (or maybe text editor) quite often the files have a "(c) 1964 generated with ........." which is clearly readable. I'm not sure if MathCAD puts that info into the file, but maybe another program has put it into the files. -Andy