Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Let the Flames Begin...

Re: Let the Flames Begin...

They had quite forceful comments from others in the wider community as well (anyone recall the Super Users Forum?).  You are right that it did cause some resentment; indeed, it felt like there was a group sitting down and saying, "What do the more experienced and forward-looking users want?  OK, take all their suggestions and put them in File 13.   <You>, find out what would really annoy them and make sure that it's a priority in our development path.". 

However, there was g r a d u a l improvement in Prime and several of us felt a sigh of relief when they dropped static type checking (*), and some aspects of program/data entry are definitely better.  So big ticks, there.

1991?  I feel like a newbie.  I think I only started in 1996 and didn't become active in the Collaboratory until about 2000. 🚼

I shouldn't have said that.  I feel old now and like the world has regressed around me. 🙁

-------------

(*)  Nothing against type-checking in principle, but it broke a lot of things and the implementation never properly supported it.  ISTR that Mathcad compiled a worksheet down to an underlying Mathcad symbolic language based on what looked like ML or Haskell.  Whatever it was had proper support for static typing and, IIRC, supported currying as it should be done, thus allowing variable length arguments to functions ... currying is another good idea that got removed because it confused some people.

Hi, I'm afraid that.....

PRIME IS DEAD.jpg

By "multi-dimensional array," (Stuart, excuse me while I step on your favorite gripe) Stuart means an array with more than two indices required to address a single element.  (Not arrays with members with different units, one of the nicer improvements from Prime.)  

I'm probably one of those old Mathcad guys.  I, too, starting using it in the old DOS days and it has become my primary computational tool.  Like everyone else, I was appalled at the amateur efforts that produced the early versions of Prime.  I have hung on to V15 for the simple reason that it did what I needed and Prime sometimes didn't.

My only reason for avoiding Prime 5 was bad plot formatting.  If it was only me, I would have made do, but I'm a professor and I didn't want to teach students bad habits.  It looks like Prime 6 has finally fixed that, so I'm making the change.  V15 is familiar and I really like it, but it's ancient and needs to go.

Like many of you, I've been baffled by how PTC has acted.  However, I've been communicating with their customer support people and it's been positive.  They truly seem to want to improve customer support.  There's a lot to be done, but the buggy and byzantine web site is now much better.  Also, I have a Webex next week so they can see what the customer experience looks like from my end.  A company that didn't care wouldn't do this.

My only real concern at this point is licensing.  I had been avoiding PTC in favor of one of their outsource vendors, EAC and that pretty much solved the problem.  Still, the goofy, convoluted purchasing process is a hard sell to students who are used to Amazon and NetFlix.

If they have fixed the purchasing process - and I think they are trying to - my complaints will all have been addressed.  Time to move on.

Mark

Announcements