cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

License Path Issue

ptc-4912114
1-Newbie

License Path Issue

Hi, I'm a student and am unable to locate the Mathcad Prime license required to dual authorize the Mathcad 15 program. Per PTC instructions this file is "MathcadPrimeLicense.dat" in "C:\ProgramData\PTC\Mathcad Prime\license\directory" and similarly in forum discussions has been listed as "C:\ProgramData\PTC\Mathcad Prime\license\MathcadLicense.dat". Presently, althought I have successfully licensed Mathcad Prime, there is no "*license.dat" file that I can locate on my computer and the only files under the "C:\ProgramData\PTC..." directory are "Windchill sharepoint products" and 'PTC places NamespaceShellExtension". All other files reside directly under the "C:\ProgramData\Mathcad..." directory, but, nowhere can I find the license file.

I purchased an HP Laptop with Windows 8 just yesterday (subsequently upgraded to the Win8 "pro" version) specifically to run Mathcad for a class. I have homework due soon, so, any help I can get in getting Mathcad 15 running would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

In Mathcad Prime2 click on the yellow M in the upper left corner, chose Mathcad options and then go on tab license. You should see what kind of license you own and there is a field "file" and you should see the path to your license file there.

Concerning your homework - Mathcad 15 works 30 days without license in evaluation mode which is not restricted. Rumour has it that you even can have a second 30-day period before final game over, but I never have tried, so it may be a myth.

Thank you. You are exactly right. By copying and pasting this file name into Mathcad 15 I was able to get up and running. Apparently my problem is due to unfamiliarity with Windows 8 - whether I use Explorer or the Search charm I am unable to find the file folder that begins "C:\ProgramData\..." or a file anywhere on my C: drive named "...MathcadPrimeLicense.dat" so browsing for the file was unsuccessful. Since the copy/paste worked, however, I'm good. Thanks again!

Thank you. You are exactly right. By copying and pasting this file name into Mathcad 15 I was able to get up and running.

Glad to got it running.

Apparently my problem is due to unfamiliarity with Windows 8 - whether I use Explorer or the

One more reason for me to stay happy with XP 😉

C:\ProgramData is a hidden directory. Try pressing windows+r and typing C:\ProgramData

Have Mathcad 13 and worked on old computer now dead
Loaded on new computer but doesn’t work. It doesn’t open .
Any suggestions
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:lbruce)

What OS and bitness? What kind of Mathcad 13 (single user or enterprise)?

Windows 10 but has x86 and single user.
Ran previously on old computer on xP service pack 2
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:lbruce)

A few things you need to check: Did you have the right prerequisites installed? Mathcad requires a specific version of MSXML, that is not installed by later versions of windows.

This should get the program running so far as to ask you for your license.

I know PTC dropped the support for Mathcad 11 (obtaining a license is no longer possible). I don't know (for sure) about Mathcad 13 (I don't run it).

My best guess at this moment is to contact PTC customer support to find out if they can help you get it licensed.

Strength!

Luc

Ah, found it.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Mathcad-Prime-5-0-some-new-updates/m-p/538897#M178985

No support for Mathcad 13, I'm afraid.

If PTC support is really like this:

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Horrendous-Customer-Support/m-p/565891#M181797

And you still want to use Mathcad 13-like functionality, you'll have to buy Prime. With that you'll get Mathcad 15 for free (install both using the very same license). Mathcad 15 will(/should) run all your Mathcad 13 files. It's just that the symbolic engine changed from Maple to MuPad; you'll get different symbolic answers and you will have some new symbolic features.

If I recall, the old original licenses were keyed to the individual computer (the hard drive serial?) 

If that's the case then you can try to get PTC to code a license to the new computer, but I wouldn't hold my breath!

Goo luck.

Top Tags