cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Linking mathcad sheets

SFares
12-Amethyst

Linking mathcad sheets

Hello,

Is it possible to link two mathcad sheets where one will be opened and the other is closed. The opened one will be set to a certain variable ( allowable stress design), and the closed one is set to a different variable( Strength Design). i need to import certain values from one sheet to another. the reason why i dont want to have one open becuase each sheet is about 25MB and if i have both opened along with other softwares, mathcad 15 will become extremly slow?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I
(To:SFares)

If you "insert/reference" of one sheet in another, Mathcad will react as if the entire referenced sheet has been inserted at the point of the reference. All variable definitions, all functions in the referenced sheet become available and defined as they were in that sheet. (You will reassign a variable value if you have the same name in you open sheet.)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

If you "insert/reference" of one sheet in another, Mathcad will react as if the entire referenced sheet has been inserted at the point of the reference. All variable definitions, all functions in the referenced sheet become available and defined as they were in that sheet. (You will reassign a variable value if you have the same name in you open sheet.)

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

What you want may be possible using a scripted button, but I'm not sure what you mean by "The opened one will be set to a certain variable (allowable stress design), and the closed one is set to a different variable (Strength Design)".

How can they be 25Mb in size? Do you have bitmap images in them?

SFares
12-Amethyst
(To:RichardJ)

Thank you!

we have two design procedures, one is called Allowable stress design (ASD) and the other is Strength design(SD). each procedure yields different results. i will set one sheet to (ASD) and the other to (SD). So i needed to get certain values from the sheet that is based on ASD and import them to the SD sheet.

the sheet is 25Mb because it has massive number of caclautions. some equations are 8 pages wide.

Thanks agin!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

OK. If you use insert reference, then the referenced sheet is effectively embedded in the referencing sheet, so I would expect the memory requirement will be almost identical to having both sheets open.

It sounds like the easiest solution that cuts the memory requirement would be to just write the required values from the ASD sheet to a file, and then the SD sheet reads that file.

Nice to meet you! Happen to know you have also long formulated calculation.

I am also finding ways to link several Mathcad sheets together for my many lengthy programmes.

My programmes are sometime extremely long around 200 pages from Seismic Force Processing to Element Design.

If you have so far found ways to link mathcad sheets, please share.

Thank you very much.

Top Tags