cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Linq - useful functions for working with sets.

ViacheslavMezen
1-Newbie

Linq - useful functions for working with sets.

2 REPLIES 2

Docs

If I'm reading selectmany correctly, your worksheet highlights the need for a particular feature, that I'd like added regardless of getting 3+ dimensional arrays, namely having an "empty" data type (call it 'null', 'empty', 'nil', 'nothing' or similar).

Instead of having to explicitly initialize a loop array before stack (or certain other operations), it would be convenient to just set the the array to 'nil' before the loop and have stack automatically initialize the empty matrix with the first set of data that needs stacking.

For example, instead of

for loop ..

calculate B

if IsArray(A) then

A=stack(A,B)

else

A=B

end loop

Then write

A=empty

for loop ..

calculate B

A=stack(A,B)

end loop

This should be expected to work even when B is empty.

Another use is when filtering a list that and no elements meet the filtering criteria. At the moment, I tend to write such programs to return zero, but there are instances where I have to be careful as zero could be a legitimate value in the context of the program that called it. In such cases, returning 'empty' would be a clear indicator that there were no elements.

Stuart

Top Tags