cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Long numbers in 'explicit'-command

mlöw
1-Newbie

Long numbers in 'explicit'-command

Hi,

I've a problem with the 'explicit'-command. The inserted values of the calculated equations are displayed as an unusual long number. I just want a number with max three decimal places after the comma.

How can i fix this problem?

Kind regards

Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:mlöw)

In Prime. you can't. Mathcad 15 allows formatting of symbolic results, but Prime does not. Do not be tempted to use the float keyword for this.It does not just affect the precision of the displayed result, but also of all the calculations.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

In Prime. you can't. Mathcad 15 allows formatting of symbolic results, but Prime does not. Do not be tempted to use the float keyword for this.It does not just affect the precision of the displayed result, but also of all the calculations.

mlöw
1-Newbie
(To:RichardJ)

Tanks a lot and sorry for not mention that i use prime.

The float-command makes the formulas shorter, but not that short i want it to be (because of the paperwidth of DIN-A4).

For those, who look in this discussion:

I solved it in an inelegantly way. It seems, that Prime uses the calculated values with a lot (too much) of decimal places after the comma. So, after i finished the complete calculation, i typed every single calculated value again under the corresponding formula with three decimal places after the comma.

That worked for me.

sthomet
1-Newbie

How does float not solve your problems? The number of decimals depends only on the parameter after "float". In fact you can hide this on the left of the worksheets, then you save your manual work.

float.PNG

S1
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:sthomet)

Hi!

Any solution to this issue after couple of years?

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:S1)

@S1 wrote:

Hi!

Any solution to this issue after couple of years?

Issue?

You have still some options:

• Use integer numbers only with fractions, etc to avoid the symbolic into switching to float mode
  • Use the float command at the price of it affecting the precision of the whole calculation
  • Don't use the explicit command at all

I'd prefer the last option. After all it doesn't look that good in Prime as we cannot hide the keywords and make the arrow look like a normal equal sign like we can di in real Mathcad. Furthermore, if you are using units in you calculations (which you should do!) you may run into even more problems with the display of the explicit command.

And, no, don't expect Prime to seriously improve. Most of us have given up hope this ever will happen.

S1
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks for your reply.

Should I switch to version 15 then?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:S1)

That depends on whether or not you need the new improved features of Prime (Free viewer, Mixed units in arrays and matrices & Autolabelling, to name them all)

more than the features of Mathcad 15 or before compared to Prime (list too long).

Note that, because PTC does not provide a way back from Prime, you'll have to recreate your worksheets in Mathcad!

Success!

Luc

Raiko
16-Pearl

Hi Marco,

in the "Format" menu choose"result..." and then check "Apply to symbolic results". That should do the trick.

Raiko

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:Raiko)

Marco is using Prime, and that option does not exist in Prime

Richard Jackson написал(а):

Marco is using Prime, and that option does not exist in Prime

And it is right.

At the Gate of Paradise is the apostle Paul, and let into Paradise only those whose formula goes into the Gate.

Long formulas from

Raiko
16-Pearl
(To:RichardJ)

Oops! You're right.

Maybe it's just me but sometimes I think that PTC isn't prepared to handle large/long/tall things. This is evident in almost every product we're using. Mathcad prime doesn't curtail long equations, Creo isn't particularly good when it comes to many parts and windchill isn't really useful for finding parts in a long list.

Raiko

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Raiko)

.... someone here just brings bad luck !!!!...

Top Tags