cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Lusk_Pipe Storage.mcdx

FredLusk
12-Amethyst

Lusk_Pipe Storage.mcdx

UPDATE 2014-01-15:  The attached .zip file now contains a Mathcad Prime 3.0 worksheet (.mcdx) and—for those of you who are still using earlier verisions of Mathcad—an Adobe Acrobat printout (.pdf) of the worksheet so can see how it is put together.

========================

The working volume in a sewer or storm drainage wetwell can sometimes be augmented by including the volume of water stored in the inlet pipe(s).  Pipe storage is only possible when the design HWL (High Water Level) in the wetwell is higher than the invert of the inlet pipe (see diagrams).  The purpose of this worksheet is to calculate the available storage volume in one inlet pipe.  This worksheet does not consider hydraulic factors that can affect the use of pipe storage.  Wetwell volume requirements are covered in a separate worksheet (Lusk_Wetwell Sizing and Pump Cycling.mcdx).  Because the pipe cross-section is assumed to be both circular and vertical, accuracy suffers if the pipe slope is too great.  However, most sewers and storm drains are flat enough to ignore this caveat.

============

I recently made a quantum leap from the 15-year-old MC 8.0 Standard to MC Prime 3.0.  This worksheet is by far the most elaborate one I have yet developed in MC Prime 3.0.  It is also the first one I have uploaded so far that did not have a MC 8.0 Standard predecessor.  I never attempted to use MC 8.0 Standard to implement this calculation because it lacks programming.  The calculation could have been done with dozens of IF statements, but programming is so much more elegant and manageable.  However, this worksheet does have a Microsoft Excel predecessor.  The Excel spreadsheet uses the Average End Area method to calculate volumes instead of the combination of simple equations and complex integrals used in this worksheet.  By using different methods, each version is a useful cross-check of the other.  The results differ in the decimal places, but that is to be expected here because the Average End Area is an approximation.

Except for a couple of trival practice programs, this worksheet contains my first two real programs.  Both are fairly elaborate (for me at least), although they pale in comparison to the awesome program I saw in the Soduku solver in the Puzzles and Games Section.  I also got to use a little calculus and symbolic algebra for the first time in several years.

Enjoy.

4 REPLIES 4
ecard
1-Newbie
(To:FredLusk)

Would yo also post your "old" worksheets in Mathcad 15 versions? Some of us have not made the move to Mathcad Prime yet.

Thanks!

FredLusk
12-Amethyst

All of the worksheets I have posted were created new in Mathcad Prime 3.0, even the ones that originated in Mathcad 8.0 or earlier.  I am doing this because in my early tests it proved to be just about as fast to rewrite the shorter worksheets in Prime from scratch (using the older versions for reference) than it was to reformat the converted worksheets, especially when I made significant additions and/or improvements to the worksheets.  This method also gives me more practice with Prime and simplifies my goal of standardizing (more of less) how my worksheets are formatted.  This may not be the case when I get to some of my really long M8 worksheets, but this method seems best for the shorter ones.

As a result, I don't have Mathcad 15 versions of any of the worksheets I have posted.  Since I can't convert Prime worksheets back to M15, I can't make M15 versions without recreating them again from scratch in M15.  However, I just printed all of my worksheets to .pdf and will soon be reposting everything in .zip files that contain both the Prime worksheet and the .pdf printouts.

ecard
1-Newbie

I understand, and I look forward to seeing your PDFs posted. Your worksheets seem to be pretty interesting, thanks.

FredLusk
12-Amethyst

Ed…

Thanks for your kind words.  Please feel free to comment on and critique my worksheets, especially if you find any errors or can suggest ways to improve my techniques.  This kind of feedback is very useful to me and, I am certain, to anyone else who reads these comments.

Yesterday, I finished updating my various uploads to include .pdf files.*  I was trying to get it done on Tuesday, but about halfway through the process a contractor cut the Comcast cable that serves my office complex.  When I left the office Tuesday evening, there were more than a dozen Comcast trucks and some construction equipment on the main street behind my office complex.

Fred

* For the six files that I mistakenly uploaded first to the MAIN documents section, I appended the description to indicate which topical documents sections to look in to the find the versions that I am maintaining from here on out.

Top Tags