cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

MathCAD 15.0 Learning Curve

GregoryRichards
1-Newbie

MathCAD 15.0 Learning Curve

New first time user as of today, just installed MathCAD 15.0, wondering how MathCAD 15 compares to MathCAD Prime 2.0?

Also wondering what kind of learning curve to expect. Will be used mostly for performing stress analysis, aerospace structural and mechanical engineering applications.

Thanks, Gregory.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gregory Richards wrote:

New first time user as of today, just installed MathCAD 15.0, wondering how MathCAD 15 compares to MathCAD Prime 2.0?

Welcome to Mathcad.

Mathcad 15 and Mathcad Prime have two entirely different editors; key combinations that provide shortcuts in 15 have been changes or eliminated in Prime. Prime has a ribbon, 15 a "standard" menu bar. The differences are similar to the recent appearance of the menu bar in EXCEL--extremely frustrating for those of us who climbed the learning curve of the old application only to have a new mountain put down in front of us.

To further confuse the problem (for Mathcad users), some of the functionality available in 15 ( and 14, 13, 11, . . .) is not "yet" available in Prime. For whatever reasons PTC has elected to field a handicapped rather than a fully functional program. (This forum is full of promisses, " Wait until Prime 3.0 (or 4.0, 5.0 X.0 . . .)

That said, Prime is the future of Mathcad. If you're just starting, I suggest you concentrate on Prime rather than 15. (If you buy Prime you'll get a full-up version of 15; Prime launches that to "translate" older versions of documents--Prime can't read mcd or xmcd files yet.) Somebody that hasn't used Mathcad 15 won't miss what they've never seen. If you're already into 15, enjoy; you're going to like Mathcad!

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Hello,

I recommend starting with the following PTC resources:

1. "LearningExchange" (video tutorials): http://learningexchange.ptc.com/tutorials/by_product/product_id:4

2. "Mathematical Engineering Resources" (with different engineering discipline): http://www.ptc.com/appserver/search/mathcad.jsp

Thanks for the resource info!

Gregory Richards wrote:

Thanks, Gregory.

See http://communities.ptc.com/message/191678

Gregory Richards wrote:

Welcome to Mathcad.

Mathcad 15 and Mathcad Prime have two entirely different editors; key combinations that provide shortcuts in 15 have been changes or eliminated in Prime. Prime has a ribbon, 15 a "standard" menu bar. The differences are similar to the recent appearance of the menu bar in EXCEL--extremely frustrating for those of us who climbed the learning curve of the old application only to have a new mountain put down in front of us.

To further confuse the problem (for Mathcad users), some of the functionality available in 15 ( and 14, 13, 11, . . .) is not "yet" available in Prime. For whatever reasons PTC has elected to field a handicapped rather than a fully functional program. (This forum is full of promisses, " Wait until Prime 3.0 (or 4.0, 5.0 X.0 . . .)

That said, Prime is the future of Mathcad. If you're just starting, I suggest you concentrate on Prime rather than 15. (If you buy Prime you'll get a full-up version of 15; Prime launches that to "translate" older versions of documents--Prime can't read mcd or xmcd files yet.) Somebody that hasn't used Mathcad 15 won't miss what they've never seen. If you're already into 15, enjoy; you're going to like Mathcad!

Thank you for your response.Fred, I've decide to take your advise.

I'm well aware of just how frusterating changes to user interface can be. As a long time Pro/E user and Admin, I would encounter users pulling there hair out each time we would perform an upgrade, and over time, I began to feel the same way. Menu's to icons Someone really needs to explain to software developers that reducing mouse clicks doesn't equate to a shorter lifecycles. In fact, I wonder how many highly skilled users of engineering software. programs are no longer users due to non-value added changes to the GUI.

My message to developers working on production software would be: It is no a question of making design changes to create a better program, but rather will making enhancement make the program better for existing users?

In any event, I've been given a chance to evaluate Prime 2.0 and I'm going to take it to prevent having to relearn to use the application when it's upgraded.

I would be interested in your feedback on on either version. As many of the long-time Mathcad users remind us, Mathcad Prime 2.0 is not yet fully compatible with Mathcad 15.0. However, unless you have Mathcad 15.0 or older worksheets, I would strongly recommend starting with Mathcad Prime 2.0. It has been specifically designed for easier adoption by new users. It's computational capability has actually been enhanced compared to Mathcad 15.0 (64 bit support, better unit management, new solvers, improved algorithms, etc.).

You can run both versions side-by-side. Downloads are available from http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad/free-trial/.

Both products contain a tutorial, that I recommend as a first step. In addiiton to the tutorial (see Getting Started tab), there are a number of short videos on how to use basic fucnitonality in Mathcad Prime 2.0 (open help and look in the Learning Connector banner).

In any case, let me know how it goes,

--Jakov

Jakov Kucan wrote:

It's computational capability has actually been enhanced compared to Mathcad 15.0 (64 bit support, better unit management, new solvers, improved algorithms, etc.).

--Jakov

See this poll -

What do you need at first of all in Mathcad 15(16) from Mathcad Prime?

http://communities.ptc.com/polls/1141

I will be using 2.0. I don't want to have to relearn to use after it's eventually upgraded.

You should use Prime. As already mentioned, some things are still missing in Prime. As a new user they are things you probably won't need though, and by the time you do need them they will hopefully be implemented.

The place to start is the tutorials.

Top Tags