cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

MathCAD File can only be opened in READ ONLY from server?

ckoschik
3-Visitor

MathCAD File can only be opened in READ ONLY from server?

Hi MathCAD community!  I am working with a customer that has not been able to open an existing file which is stored on his server, as it will only open in READ ONLY format.  So, he has been copying the file to his local machine doing my work, saving locally, then copying the file from his local machine back to his server. 

Any ideas?

Thank you all!

17 REPLIES 17
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ckoschik)

Maybe the attributes of the file ( in the Operating Systemm, not in Mathcad) were changed to Read-Only...?

What type ('real' or Prime) and version (number) of 'mathcad'?

Success!

Luc

Hi LucMeekes,

Thanks for reaching back out so quickly!  I really appreciate it.

MathCAD 15.0

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

So what, according to your client's file manager (such as Windows Explorer), are the attributes of the mathcad sheet file in question?

(With Windows Explorer: click the file, press the RIGHT-hand mouse button and select 'properties' from the pop-up. Read the attributes at the botoom of the properties window.)

If the attribute 'Read-only' is ticked, untick it and OK the form. Immediately thereafter check the properties again. If it's still/again 'Read-only', then it may be an access/rights issue. Independently of the attribute setting, it may  be an acces/rights  issue regarding the directory or the server.

Success!

Luc

Looks good to me.  I wonder what else it could be?

ckoschik_0-1580150389803.jpeg

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Does it occur only with this file, or with any (mathcad sheet) file on that location of the server, or anywhere on the server?

Luc

@ckoschik wrote:

Looks good to me.  I wonder what else it could be?

ckoschik_0-1580150389803.jpeg

Hi,

I guess access rights to directories (on disk L:), which are present in the path to the MATHCAD file, can be the root of the problem.

Martin Hanák

1. Do you get an error msg if you create a file and try to save on a network (server) drive? something like: file name already exist?
  2. Are you running non windows 10?

Hi Martin,

It looks like he has admin rights and has always had them. 

@ckoschik wrote:

Hi Martin,

It looks like he has admin rights and has always had them. 

Hi,

I guess that you statement "he has admin rights and has always had them" means that the user is member of Administrators group.

I meant different setting ... access rights to network directories.

Martin Hanák

Wondering if anyone ever found a solution. I'm running into the same problem accessing Mathcad 15 files on a server. They open read-only every time I open one. But, checking the file properties the file is not flagged as read only, and if I copy and paste it to my local drive it opens fine.

I am also seeing the same behavior.  I read a knowledge base article saying that its a windows issue but when I open files from the old server, which we still have online just in case, there is no issue.  Please Help.

Update: I have a workstation that I was testing on that is identical, however, it is running an older version of Mathcad 15 (M020), and opening the file from the server, and saving a new file to the server works just fine.  The other workstation is running Mathcad 15 (M050) FYI.

So, I just tried that with my machine. Running M15 (M050) I run into the read only issue w/ anything I try to open from our server. So, I scrapped M050 and re-installed M15 (M020) and no more issues with the read only on the server!!!

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ErikM360)

Hmm, interesting.

One of the fixes that M050 brings is:

"6966440     Fixes Win 10 issue with read only warning message display".

Luc

Where were you able to get the installer for M020

Fortunately, we still had a copy of the old installation software on our server. We're pack rats like that and tend to never delete anything...

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:EM_9950436)

You should be able to download  M020 here.

If my suspicion is right, then the problem you're facing was introduced by that one fix in M050. Then M045 should be a better choice, because a lot of bugs have been fixed in M030 and M040. And one serious bug in M040 has been fixed in M045. This link should get you M045.

Oh yes, and you could ask PTC if they are going to fix your problem, with a new release of Mathcad 15; but I'm afraid that's idle hope.

Success!
Luc

Top Tags