cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

MathCAD15 excel component giving unrecoverable read error

sjupp
5-Regular Member

MathCAD15 excel component giving unrecoverable read error

Ladies and gents, We use MathCAD 15 in our office and we have an excel component in a mathcad sheet that works fine for some people but when some users open the sheet they get the following message - 'Warning: an unrecoverable read error has occurred. 1 regions could not be read from this document.' the excel component is then deleted.

There are only 24 inputs (that have 8 values within them) to the excel component, so its not even that large. We are all operating on the latest MathCAD 15 release for windows 10.

Any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:sjupp)

@sjupp wrote:

Ladies and gents, We use MathCAD 15 in our office and we have an excel component in a mathcad sheet that works fine for some people but when some users open the sheet they get the following message - 'Warning: an unrecoverable read error has occurred. 1 regions could not be read from this document.' the excel component is then deleted.

There are only 24 inputs (that have 8 values within them) to the excel component, so its not even that large. We are all operating on the latest MathCAD 15 release for windows 10.

Any ideas?

So what are the differences?

Version and/or bitness of the OS (are all using Windows 10, 64 bit?)

Version of installed Excel?

sjupp
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Good question,

Both systems are running windows 10 and excel 32bit, hence the confusion as to why we have an issue.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

So I understand that the effect on the two machines is reproducible.

Both use the same file (from the very same network share or the same thumbdrive) and one machine always will throw the error and the other will always load the file without problems?

If the file is not taken from the same source by the two machines, one copy may be damaged.

The same file on two identical configurations - thats confusing. So I guess there must be something which makes a difference.

I fear that I can't be of much help here as I am just poking around. My next try would be to delete the Excel component and load the new file on both machines. I would suppose the file will load fine on both.

Then I would recreate the Excel component from scratch and see if the problem persists.

The last time I can remember I stumbled over this very same error message was with Mathcad 14. It usually happened with very large files (containing a lot of inserted pictures) and the usual cure was to identify and delete the faulty region (using Stuarts repair sheet) to be able to recover most of the rest of the sheet. But your case is different as the sheet works fine on one of the machines you use.

I've found Excel components to make my Mathcad files solve more slowly, so I just copy the data from the Excel file and paste it into a data table.

@rbostiga wrote:

I've found Excel components to make my Mathcad files solve more slowly, so I just copy the data from the Excel file and paste it into a data table.

If I need to exchange data between Mathcad and Excel I won't resort to copy and paste but rather would use the READEXCEL/WRITEEXCEL commands to automate the exchange. I don't need Excel data that often in Mathcad but I never felt comfortable with the Excel component.

Mathcad 15 had the data table which had the extreme (IMHO)advantage of leaving data in the sheet rather than risking losing or misplacing an EXCEL file.  Prime does not have thisbut will embed an EXCEL sheet.

I fully agree that the missing of the data table in Prime is (one of a lot) big loss.

But relying on a large commercial third party software (Excel) being installed on every system Prime will be used just to keep the data with the worksheet is a somewhat ridiculous approach - apart from this blowing up the sheet and making it slow and unstable. Rather should PTC get their act together and do the necessary rework on Prime - but yes, we know this will never happen. As we could see in the last release, instead of implementing a consistent plot feature they incorporated a mediocre third party software in a very inconsistent and amateurish way. This component is not unit aware, can not be dynamically controlled by the worksheet, is missing basic features like markers and is in some cases (when you use a 4K display) completely unusable. So, no, I don't expect PTC to implement something like the good old data table in the foreseeable future 😞

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Top Tags