cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

MathCad 11: how to make the result shown in line with the equation like y:=2x=

anthonyQueen
8-Gravel

MathCad 11: how to make the result shown in line with the equation like y:=2x=

Good luck with the new forum to begin with (For now it works like the first MC Prime Smiley Tongue with basic errors, namely certificate errors: needed to add a browser exception).

I am still using Mathcad 11. And I am a fun of it.

An evident point I miss is to be able to show a result of an equation  inline with the equation itself. For instance:

x:= 5     

y:= 2x= 10. Instead in my worksheets I need always to write y:= 2x   and again    y= 10.

In a worksheet that I opened recently, I found with my surprise the following equation asking from Matrix Mat_A its eigenvectors. And you can see it is followed with the "=" as I wanted.

019-2017-07-06_202618.png

Probably I copied from MC15 to MC11 or I did something else. I do not have recalls on how I did it. Now I am not even able to replicate it inside MC11.

Is someone able to explain if MC11 can do that. And if not, how can be explained the "exception" shown?

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

I can understand you like MC11 - keep it as long as possible.

I can't try as I have no working MC11 at hand and I have no explanation how you could achieve numerical inline evaluation oin MC11. Maybe @LucMeekes can help here.

Is it possible to follow an assignment by a symbolical evealuation in MC11? I guess, yes. And I think you can make the arrow look like an equal sign in MC11 as well. This may be a work around in some situations.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:Werner_E)

I can't check at the moment. But I think the only way in '11 is through symbolic definition, then followed by equals.
Success!
Luc

Thanks to both for the feedback.

Symbolic inline evaluation works in MC11, as you said. Unfortunately the results are often not easily manageable in a worksheet. The same eigenvector evaluated in my initial post comes up now as  follows (I stretched the image, otherwise it would have been much longer):

020-2017-07-07_085122.png

Is it possible to reduce the number of decimals in this case so to make the result readable, as it appears with a simple "=" in the yellow image?

Still it remains to be understood how the original operation with "=", shown in the first post, can work in MC11.

In attachment the worksheet, with some explanations.

There is definitely something wrong with those expressions in your sheet which seems to work in MC11.

When I open your sheet in MC15, those regions throw the error "Cannot understand this syntax". When I delete the "Q_EVec := " part, the expressions evaluates (without double brackets) and when I add in front "Q :=" its still working normal. Not sure what could be happened here but I guess its better not to use that "feature".

As you wrote using symbolic evaluation often is problematic, not only because of the number of decimals displayed. You can change it by using the "float" keyword. But you must consider a few things here:

1) The number is the number of significant digits, not the number of decimals

2) "float" does not only affect the display of the result, it also affects the precision of the whole calculation! This is the reason why we usually advice against using "float".

Furthermore in some calculations there is a difference concerning the outcome as some ambiguous functions are implemented differently in the numerics (Mathcad) and symbolics(Matlab in MC11, MuPad in MC15),

In MC15 there is a difference which eigenvectors are shown in "eigenvecs". Not sure if you expereience the same effect in MC11 as here Maple is used for the symbolics.

Pic1.png

I just realize that you attached your "mcd" file directly without zipping it. How did you do that? Wehn I try to do so (and I just tried with an mcd-file, too) I always get an error and am not allowed to post?

Hi Werner,

thanks again for the feedback, and for trying with MC15. Also in my case it throws an error.

Thanks also for the "symbolic" suggestion. But as you have just said, it is not to be used without worries: the two eigenvector matrices you displayed seem very different. Instead they are the same! It is unfortunate that we do not have a sort or "round" or "truncated" comand that works just on the result with the symbolics.

About .mcd attachment, I did nothing in particular. I just browsed with the link that there is here under the edit window  on the left  and selected the file (I am working - if that matters - still with WinXP). Probably this is a feature of the new forum. BTW: I cannot open the forum with a normal browser due to certificate errors. As I said in the first post, I needed to make an exception to the browser to be here. So, until yesterday at least the forum IMHO suffers of some issues. 

Hi Anthony,

It is unfortunate that we do not have a sort or "round" or "truncated" comand that works just on the result with the symbolics.

There are ways, but I am not sure it they are already available in MC11

1) You could use the Round command. Note the capital R.

Pic1.png

round(....,3) works, too, if you vectorize the expression, but a get fractions as result 😞

2) In the Result Format menu you can chose to apply the settings to symbolic results as well. This works pretty well.

Pic.png

None of the two methods can deal with the difference in eigenbvecs between the numeric and symbolic evaluation. though.

About .mcd attachment, I did nothing in particular. I just browsed with the link that there is here under the edit window  on the left  and selected the file (I am working - if that matters - still with WinXP).

I am also still on Win XP at the machine I am currently working and have no idea why I can't attach Mathcad files. pdf, zip, xls, work OK. I am in contact with Toby and while he already added all the necessary extensions in the list of allowed file extensions, it still does not work for me. Thats the reason it was a surprise for me to see that you were able to do so. I immediatly tried again but in vain, Hope Toby can sort thta things out.

Probably this is a feature of the new forum.

Whish it would be. In the previous Jive forum Mathcad files were automatically zipped when attached. Here I have to zip them manually in a tenpfile which I have to delete after uploading it. It would be much more convenient to be able to upload the file directly as you obviously were able to to.

BTW: I cannot open the forum with a normal browser due to certificate errors. As I said in the first post, I needed to make an exception to the browser to be here. So, until yesterday at least the forum IMHO suffers of some issues. 

Yes, there still are a lot of quirks here and I see not much benefit compared to the old forum. Concerning the certificate error, there seems a domain missing in the certificate used. You should update your bookmar link from www.ptcusercommunitiy.com to the now used community.ptc.com. This should do the job.

Hi Werner,

good suggestions. Unfortunately most of them are not available in MC11, like the extra choice in "format results".

As far as the uploading is concerned did you try to change browser or disable -just for a while - the Antivirus. Sometimes,  browsers such as Chrome make restrictions.

best

I already suspected that the methods suggested would not be available in MC11 but I wasn't sure. Anyway, you have the far superior symbolics engine, so keep MC11 as long as possible. Missing inline evaluation is a modest price for that.

According my upload problem - no, I haven't played around changing much on my side (after all, it has to work with the browser I use and with then antivirus on). There is so much not as it should be here at the time - I'd rather wait until most bugs are sorted out. I read from others that they could not attach videos and Mathcad files (in my tests I successfully could attach mp4 and avi files.

You seem to be the first to succeed with attaching a Mathcad file - congratulations! I have no clue what the reason for this could be.

I don't think its browser specific (i am using FireFox) or has to do with any antivirus software in use. I can add the files and when I click "post" I get an error. The error message I get is from Lithium and it looks like Lithium is telling me that it looked into the files itself and decided that the contenet of the files is not a valid Mathcad file (of course I used valid files).

tmp.png

What Internet browser you use for attaching a worksheet?

@VladimirN wrote:

What Internet browser you use for attaching a worksheet?

FF - did you succeed in attaching a Mathcad file directly?

It seems to be not browser specific. Look here: https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad-Questions/Survey-direct-Mathcad-files-attachments/m-p/476730#M172277

Ok, I will now test and then write about it.

If of any interest here I succeeded in attaching an .mcd file using a FF lightweight: K-meleon.

What version of FireFox and Windows OS are you using?

>What version of FireFox and Windows OS are you using?

FF: Gecko engine 31.8.

It seems that the matter is in OS. Can anyone else check it with Windows XP?

@VladimirN wrote:

It seems that the matter is in OS. Can anyone else check it with Windows XP?

No, it seems not to be the OS and not the bitness.

Follow the discussion in the "main" thread -> Survey: Direct Mathcad attachments

I had already written there (can't link to the post itself her - you'll have to look for it) that I tried with Win XP 32 bit, too. Neither FF, IE, Chrome nor K-meleon worked in that respect.

So it looks like it has nothing to do with OS, bitness or browser used. Maybe some registry settings are the cause why it worked for three users (also Luc had success - only with MC11 file and only with one of his machines).

Top Tags