cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

MathCad 15 Install Help Needed

craig
1-Newbie

MathCad 15 Install Help Needed

Hello All,

I am struggling to get MathCad 15 up and running. The problem started when I had our purchasing agent purchase the software for me (all emails went to him).

I have downloaded the software and installed it on my computer and registered on the PTC site. I received 2 emails containing flex/LS license files

Email one - lm_xxxx.txt - necessary for license borrowing.
Email two - lm_xxxx_standard.txt - required for older Pro/ENGINEER releases.

I don't know what to do with these files and the links given in the email containing the instructions are not available to me.

I have sent emails and attempted to contact tech support and also the MathCad sales group. The sales group refers me to Tech Support who do not answer my emails and cannot be contacted by phone.

It has been almost 4 weeks since I purchased the software. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig Christensen

Campbell Scientific, Inc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member
(To:craig)

Chris,

The two files should be in plain text and are two variants of the licence. One nominally allows licence borrowing and one doesn't. Borrowing is only valid (useful) if you use a separate network licence server, it allows you to take a licence from the server and store it on your PC for use when away from the network. If you only have one licence it will be with the PC any way. The Standard licence is the one that doesn't bother with borrowing.

So save the standard licence in the ~~ C:Program Files/mathcad/mathcad 15/licences directory (and save a back up copy for use if you re-install on the same machine !! ). When you run mathcad the first time it will probably ask you to browse to the licence, it may even create a file licence.dat from it, but it should just use that file. The key thing to check is that your "host ID" is correct (the hardware number of the physical ethernet port)

The admin guide (hidden under html\usascii\proe\helpSys Top\siteset\ )also gives you a DOS (cmd) window method for getting mathcad to start at the "where's my licence file" stage if you want to change things. If I remember it is simply the regular startup with /licence at the end.

Philip

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Craig,

You can receive one on one support resolution by emailing - during normal business hours.

-BostonDan

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

Chris,

The two files should be in plain text and are two variants of the licence. One nominally allows licence borrowing and one doesn't. Borrowing is only valid (useful) if you use a separate network licence server, it allows you to take a licence from the server and store it on your PC for use when away from the network. If you only have one licence it will be with the PC any way. The Standard licence is the one that doesn't bother with borrowing.

So save the standard licence in the ~~ C:Program Files/mathcad/mathcad 15/licences directory (and save a back up copy for use if you re-install on the same machine !! ). When you run mathcad the first time it will probably ask you to browse to the licence, it may even create a file licence.dat from it, but it should just use that file. The key thing to check is that your "host ID" is correct (the hardware number of the physical ethernet port)

The admin guide (hidden under html\usascii\proe\helpSys Top\siteset\ )also gives you a DOS (cmd) window method for getting mathcad to start at the "where's my licence file" stage if you want to change things. If I remember it is simply the regular startup with /licence at the end.

Philip

Philip,

Thanks for your help. What I was missing was copying the files to my hard drive and changing them from *.txt to *.dat files. I wish the fiel emails would have told me this.

Craig

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

I think part of the problem is that the deafult setting of the "browse" dialog is to search for *.dat files. If you change the file types selection to All files (*.*) then you should see, and it should accept the licence.txt file "as is".

It is a common oversight to not notice that the file types selection is more narrow that you expect.

Philip

bedmonds
7-Bedrock

Craig, the emails you received should have included instructions on saving and renaming the license files. If they did not, it is a problem that needs to be investigated and fixed. Can you please forward both emails to me at -? Thank you.

craig
1-Newbie

tgoldsmith
4-Participant

Mathcad 15, single user trial license: I get the following message on sending request: "The server committed a protocol violation. Section=ResponseHeading=CR must be followed by LF." 

Top Tags