cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

MathCad Prime 3.1 and units

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

MathCad Prime 3.1 and units

Hello,

I have a problem with MathCad Prime 3.1 and units.

Example:

A: = 10 mm is good

B = .10 mm is not good, undefined variable.

C: = 0.10 mm is good

😧= .10 *mm is good.

3.1 premium not automatically recognize the units as before if we do not put that point before the value.

Best Regards.

Denis.

12 REPLIES 12

Prime 3.0 does that too. It appears that Prime doesn't handle the decimal point very well. When using a value with decimal point I typically multiply by the unit to avoid the mishap.

Norm

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone
(To:nas0k)

Hello,

I have not kept the Prime version 3.0 after making sure that the 3.1 foctionnait (perhaps wrongly).

With 3.0 I still was putting the point before the value.

I just take my files created with 3.0 and now I have my updated value with V = 0.35mm and not V: = .35mm only.

If one writes a value without unit .35 3.1 Prime said nothing.

Best Regards.

Denis.

I don't have 3.1 to see what you are experiencing, but I need to use your example "D:=.10*mm" from your previous message in 3.0 or I get an error.

Norm

Norm Schutzkus wrote:

When using a value with decimal point I typically multiply by the unit to avoid the mishap.

Norm

temp.png

Hello Valery,

It appears that all units behave that way.

nas0k
7-Bedrock
(To:nas0k)

My apologies, I meant not that way...

In Prime 3.0 (I don't have 3.1 yet), the reason your Example B doesn't work is the lack of a leading zero. There is some argument in publishing circles about the use of the leading zero (see Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math and APA Style Blog: A Post About Nothing). However, I always use a leading zero for decimals less than one, even with hand calculations. It just makes the number easier to read and the decimal place more obvious. It appears that Prime agrees.

nas0k
7-Bedrock
(To:FredLusk)

You are probably right Fred, that makes sense...

Thanks for the information.

Sincerely,

Norm

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone
(To:FredLusk)

Hello Fred,

Thank you for all that information.

Best Regards.

Denis.

New type of variable in Prime

ntvar.png

RWickrama
6-Contributor
(To:DenisJaunin)

The dot (.) is not an integer but a string character. Therefore, numerical value can't be started from the dot - must be preceded with number 0 (i.e., 0.).

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:RWickrama)

I agree that's what is happening, but it shouldn't matter that it's non-numeric (and in Mathcad 15, it doesn't). It's being written in a math region, and in a math region strings have to be in quotes. It's a bug. Fortunately, a minor one.

Top Tags