cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

MathCad Prime- How to manage calculations?

JohnAConnor
1-Newbie

MathCad Prime- How to manage calculations?

My understanding of the new MathCad Prime is that it does not support Areas that can be collapsed or locked. This feature is used by my company to manage calculations. The calcluations within the area have been carefully authored, checked, and certified. We lock the area so that no one can tamper with the calculations. The user of the sheet would only have access to input variables.

If MathCad Prime does not support locked areas or templates, what is the proposed solution to help manage calculations?

Also, if it does not support locked areas, can Prime import/read files from version 14 that have locked areas?

thanks,
JC

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:JohnAConnor)

Areas that can be collapsed or locked. This feature is used by my company to manage calculations. The calcluations within the area have been carefully authored, checked, and certified. We lock the area so that no one can tamper with the calculations. The user of the sheet would only have access to input variables.

We have exactly the same issue. We have software which has been externally verified and locked in area's away from clients.

Basically I would suggest using M15 for these calculations.

Hopefully this feature will be in Prime 2.0 otherwise I will still be using M15 in two years time.

Mike

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

My understanding of the new MathCad Prime is that it does not support Areas that can be collapsed or locked.

This may be true of the current version; but we're being assured that future versions will incorporate the full feature set of version 15.

can Prime import/read files from version 14 that have locked areas?

Prime cannot import any other versions of mathcad. Mathcad 15 can convert files to Prime, but 15 is required for this. (This may be why yoyu can buy 15, Prime, a year's maintainence, and a flash drive for $325 US right now.)

Prime cannot import any other versions of mathcad. Mathcad 15 can convert files to Prime, but 15 is required for this. (This may be why yoyu can buy 15, Prime, a year's maintainence, and a flash drive for $325 US right now.)

Basically when you purchase Prime you get a free copy of M15.

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:JohnAConnor)

Areas that can be collapsed or locked. This feature is used by my company to manage calculations. The calcluations within the area have been carefully authored, checked, and certified. We lock the area so that no one can tamper with the calculations. The user of the sheet would only have access to input variables.

We have exactly the same issue. We have software which has been externally verified and locked in area's away from clients.

Basically I would suggest using M15 for these calculations.

Hopefully this feature will be in Prime 2.0 otherwise I will still be using M15 in two years time.

Mike

Mathcad Prime 1.0 does not include collapsed or locked areas. We will be adding that feature to a future release of Mathcad Prime, so if you need to use locked and collapsed areas, you should stick with Mathcad 15 for now.

Worksheets from all previous versions of Mathcad can be converted into Mathcad Prime 1.0. It uses Mathcad 15 M005 in the background to do the conversion, so you do need to install Mathcad 15 M005. However, you only need to convert once, you don't need to convert your files into Mathcad 15, then Mathcad Prime.

Areas in earlier files become regular regions in Mathcad Prime 1.0, separated by page breaks. If you have a locked area in the source worksheet, you need to unlock it before converting the worksheet to Mathcad Prime 1.0.

I hope this clarifies things,

Mona

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:mzeftel)

Mathcad Prime 1.0 does not include collapsed or locked areas. We will be adding that feature to a future release of Mathcad Prime, so if you need to use locked and collapsed areas, you should stick with Mathcad 15 for now.

Mona,

That is exactly what I indicated within my post.

Worksheets from all previous versions of Mathcad can be converted into Mathcad Prime 1.0. It uses Mathcad 15 M005 in the background to do the conversion, so you do need to install Mathcad 15 M005. However, you only need to convert once, you don't need to convert your files into Mathcad 15, then Mathcad Prime.

That is good news and should make a few more users sit more comfortable.

Areas in earlier files become regular regions in Mathcad Prime 1.0, separated by page breaks. If you have a locked area in the source worksheet, you need to unlock it before converting the worksheet to Mathcad Prime 1.0.

I think the issue which John raised was that his company have collapsed area's within worksheets which for a number of reasons cannot be opened as does my employer.

Mike

It sounds like I need to upgrade to 15 and stick with that for awhile. I'm not opposed to Prime's new features, but its seems like a step back with regard to calculation management. MathCad was always advertised to companies as a way to certify company calcs. The Prime version is not going to work for us right now.

Top Tags