cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

MathCad Region help

JasonDoty
1-Newbie

MathCad Region help

so I am having a problem getting MathCad to start a new column and keeping the Variable that is defined in the previous column (or region). I know that the order MathCad uses to calculate is left to right, top to bottom, within the two verticle black lines. I however made a worksheet that has 39+ pages and all the inputs are in the first page, while throughout the 39 pages i have a lot of different calculations. i dont always feel like scrolling from top to bottom every time i change an input, so is there a way i can see the values at the top of the region next to my region that is 39+ pages... I cant use global variable either, i tried that, and you cant have a varible on the other side of a global variable.. any input is helpful... thanks...

4 REPLIES 4

Here are 2 possible options,

1st is to create an excel component at the top of the sheet & write the necessary data to cells in it.

2nd is to create a series of hyperlinks within the document to allow easier switching between locations

regards

Andy

Jason Doty wrote:

is there a way i can see the values at the top of the region next to my region that is 39+ pages... I cant use global variable either, i tried that, and you cant have a varible on the other side of a global variable.. any input is helpful... thanks...

See? Yes! Change? No!

A variable defined in a work sheet can be viewed simply by interrogating it:

X := 12 definition of a variable

and further down . . .

X = 12 typing the variable and then "=" (as opposed to shift-: which displays as " :=") will show you the value of the variable wherever you want it to.

If you type

X := 24 then you have changed the value of the variable (below and to the right of the typing. Above this point X will still be 12, below it will be 24 unless you redefine it.

wayne
3-Visitor
(To:JasonDoty)

If I understand correctly - You want the change values of a variable in the first part of a long file and see the results at the end, or perhaps at intermediate points, without having to scroll (or use home and end)

You can insert Areas (see help) to encapsulate blocks of intermediate calculations that you do not need to see every time, and then collapse these areas. You could collapse the entire 38 pages is you like. This is a pain because you must drag the bottom of the region for 38 pages, but you only need to do once.

I think in previous threads Richard Jackson, and possibly some others, have discussed using scripting to use values assigned at the end of a file, at the beginning. You can search for that if you want to go down that road.

Thanks, that seems to do what I... thanks for the input... have a great day...

Top Tags