cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mathcad 14.0 M011 is Awesome!

Highlighted
Visitor

Mathcad 14.0 M011 is Awesome!

Well, I've been using MC 14.0 M011 for a few weeks now on my 32-bit Vista machine and I have to say it is indeed amazing. It's what I have dreamed of ever since I started using Mathcad. Some of my favorite new features: 1. The automatic crash on print preview. Why didn't someone think of that before? 2. The inability to display data points on plots when the x-axis is in decreasing order. I never knew how many graphs I could live without! 3. Complete destruction of the symbolic engine. The symbolic math in previous versions was really getting in my way. My only complaint here (and it's minor) is that I wish they would have just removed symbolics entirely rather than adding the feature that Mathcad now typically crashes or simply stops responding during most symbolic calculations. 4. The continued woeful inadequacy of the plotting routines. I had been meaning to spend more time working with Surfer and Matlab, and this has really given me the motivation. Thanks, PTC! 5. The consistently inconsistent random crashes. It's like having a surprise party every day! Sometimes I can work happily along on my sheets and have no problems. Other times, I get a random crash out of the blue. That's so funny. Those folks at PTC have a great sense of humor. 6. The pop-up windows that are blank (no text, no buttons, no nothing) and come immediately back when closed. Wow, I really used to enjoy Mathcad's nonsensical error messages, but these are even better! They render the program completely useless and I get to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of it. That's so fun. Gee, I could go on and on talking about how much I love Mathcad and PTC, but I think this is long enough for now. Since I don't really have any work to do, I think I'll just perform another complete uninstall-evaporation of Mathcad followed by reinstallation (second one this week!). I just hope it doesn't get rid of all the new features this time. Your #1 fan, Matt
26 REPLIES 26
Highlighted

RE: Mathcad 14.0 M011 is Awesome!

Both forums! Why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel? I think I had a much better day than you. The sun was shining, I took the dogs for a walk, and, very importantly, I don't own a single computer with Windoze Vista! Richard
Highlighted

Yes, this is my first post to the "new and improved" forum (to go along, I assume, with the "new and improved" Mathcad). I just wanted to tell the whole world about all of the joy in my heart for Mathcad 14. I think I'll sing a song.

At least you are able to install 14. I can't even install 14, so I'm forced to use 13....wait it sounds like this might be a good thing.
Highlighted

Re: Mathcad 14.0 M011 is Awesome!

"Matt Evans" wrote:

Well, I've been using MC 14.0 M011 for a few weeks now on my 32-bit Vista machine and I have to say it is indeed amazing. It's what I have dreamed of ever since I started using Mathcad. Some of my favorite new features: 1. The automatic crash on print preview. Why didn't someone think of that before? 2. The inability to display data points on plots when the x-axis is in decreasing order. I never knew how many graphs I could live without! 3. Complete destruction of the symbolic engine. The symbolic math in previous versions was really getting in my way. My only complaint here (and it's minor) is that I wish they would have just removed symbolics entirely rather than adding the feature that Mathcad now typically crashes or simply stops responding during most symbolic calculations. 4. The continued woeful inadequacy of the plotting routines. I had been meaning to spend more time working with Surfer and Matlab, and this has really given me the motivation. Thanks, PTC! 5. The consistently inconsistent random crashes. It's like having a surprise party every day! Sometimes I can work happily along on my sheets and have no problems. Other times, I get a random crash out of the blue. That's so funny. Those folks at PTC have a great sense of humor. 6. The pop-up windows that are blank (no text, no buttons, no nothing) and come immediately back when closed. Wow, I really used to enjoy Mathcad's nonsensical error messages, but these are even better! They render the program completely useless and I get to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of it. That's so fun. Gee, I could go on and on talking about how much I love Mathcad and PTC, but I think this is long enough for now. Since I don't really have any work to do, I think I'll just perform another complete uninstall-evaporation of Mathcad followed by reinstallation (second one this week!). I just hope it doesn't get rid of all the new features this time. Your #1 fan, Matt

Highlighted

Re: Mathcad 14.0 M011 is Awesome!

"Joel Davis" wrote:

I have a lot of sympathy, Matt. However, some of your problems may be Vista-related; I haven't seen most of these running Windows XP. I DO have particular sympathy for the problems with random crashes (particularly during saves), and agree that the plot features could stand some improvement.

Highlighted

Mathcad problems

To be true, Print preview is not only Vista related problem. On my computers it occurs both on Vista and on XP (Mathcad 14 M011). What's more, if I want to print only few pages from my ~50 pages Mathcad document it is not directly possible. It will be too easy for Mathcad user. I have to print to virtual printer (Fineprint) and then delete unwanted ~45 pages (not so simple as I must delete maually every single page). Best Regards, Jerzy Cierpicki
Highlighted

Re: Mathcad problems

I found VISTA very stable. Of course there are some minor compatibility problems but either not very critical either quickly resolved by software suppliers. For example on VISTA I can draw Smartsketch 3.0 (9 years old software) sketches but if I insert Smartsketch documents into Mathcad then there are some problems. Such a problems are understandable for me but if I am buying software VISTA compatible then it should work properly and if it is not working correctly then software mistakes should be repaired without any doubt. I understand Software producers subscription policy if they wants money for new software possibilities but I can't understand if I had to pay money for software bug repairs within few months after I bought a software. Software should have at minimum a year warranty for mistakes repair and usually one year period is guaranted by software producers but not by PTC (from 25.04.2008). Best Regards, Jerzy PS Hope that PTC will change this strange policy.
Highlighted

[quote="Richard Jackson"]

"Jerzy Cierpicki" wrote:

As I posted elsewhere, I may defer future upgrades for a year or so to allow at least the initial bugs to be cleaned up.

Highlighted

"Joel Davis" wrote:

If you wait a year, I presume you'll get a version with the service releases up to that time.

Announcements