cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Mathcad 15, find just one variable

rscott
6-Contributor

Mathcad 15, find just one variable

I want to simply find one thing. 

I have a rather large system fo equations and I just want to find one answer. 

Is there a way to put a single variable in a find statement. 

So if I have a system with X1 X2 X3 ...... X100

I don't want to have to have the following. 

A 100X1 := find(X1......X100) Its unmanable because all it does is run all over the page. 

I used to be able to do this in prime. 

I simply want to be able to find one variable. 

Answer := find (X33) 

How can I do this in 15?

8 REPLIES 8
rscott
6-Contributor
(To:rscott)

No one knows?

Can someone please take a look at this I have been stuck with this for 2 days

rscott
6-Contributor

Anyone?.????

Can someone please help

This is ridiculous 

This is why I went to prime and now being forced back to 15

How is it possible no one can answer this

ttokoro
20-Turquoise
FredLusk
12-Amethyst

Please do not consider my post to be rude or hostile.  I am actually trying to be helpful.  However, I will not address your specific Mathcad question because I do not fully understand it.

You made three posts in a little more than one hour and your last two posts were impatient and rude.  This indicates to me that you think this forum is a PTC help desk.  It is not.  The people who hang out here are Mathcad enthusiasts and not, generally, PTC employees.  Some people hang out here often.  Others (like me) come by once in a while.  Some people who hang out here are truly experts with mathematics and Mathcad.  Others (like me) are pretty good with both (I'm a civil engineer), but wouldn't consider ourselves necessarily to be experts.  What this means is that nobody here is a wizard just waiting around for questions like yours.  The odds of your three posts missing the online time for someone who could and would help is pretty high and the two tentative responses you received over the past five days backs this up.

In addition, your question is difficult to understand and you didn't include a Mathcad worksheet with your attempt(s) to solve it.  You will get more and better responses with a respectful tone, patience, a good description of the mathematics and/or Mathcad problem (we are not mind readers), and some indication of what things you have tried so far to solve your problem.  It would also be helpful if you would respond to the two attempts to help you with some acknowledgement of their effort and a much better description of what you are trying to do.

@rscott  seems to never come back to comment on the suggestions and answers given to his questions.

Thats good to know as it means we can skip his questions.

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/Variable-undefined-what-am-i-doing-wrong/m-p/640867

https://community.ptc.com/t5/PTC-Mathcad/How-to-get-matched-to-solve-symbolically-for-only-a-real-part-of/m-p/225835#M88348

I have observed that such behavior unfortunately also increases in other forums!

Maybe a time trend and I am just showing my age if I find this behavior rude and inappropriate.

FredLusk
12-Amethyst
(To:Werner_E)

Yes, I remember those posts and a couple others.  I needn't say anything more.  😎

rscott
6-Contributor
(To:Werner_E)

I dont come back to comment simply because there is no point arguing with you. 

Do you mean you have 100 simultaneous algebraic equations in 100 unknowns and just want to find one of the 100 from a Given ... Find solve block. 

If so, you can do this by representing your 100 X's as a vector.  You need to solve for all 100, but can simply extract the one you want, and you don't have to write a huge list of values inside the Find expression.

Here's an example with three Xs (because I'm not spending the time to do 100):

g0.jpg

If this isn't what you mean, then you will need to explain your problem more clearly.

Alan

Top Tags