cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Mathcad 15 just hanging

fward
6-Contributor

Mathcad 15 just hanging

Hi,

I have a chunky (21 Mb) Mathcad file that has got slower and slower and now is just hanging. It does not register as 'not responding', I can scroll, but cannot click into the screen, and the sheet is not re-calculating. I was mid save, and had about 1 hour work that was not previously saved. I would rather not lose it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Frank

3 REPLIES 3
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:fward)

That's a big file. Does it have bitmap images pasted in it?

fward
6-Contributor
(To:RichardJ)

Hi Richard,

There are a number of graphics cut from pdf files and pasted in. As it happens, I hit Esc, and that opened up a dialog which asked me if I wanted to abort saving! That was about 4 hours later. I said yes which then opened another dialog which was some form of error screen, with options to abort, ignore or re-try. I hit abort and Mathcad shut down. Fortunately I had saved screen shots of the latest entries, and had been saving on a regular basis, so I have a bit of re-entering to do, but not too much.

The file is big, but not by modern file standards. I have an Excel file which is the same size. It opens instantly, re-calculates instantly and never hangs. Mathcad will take up to a minute to open, more than a minute to re-calculate, print, save. However, I stay with Mathcad for the huge benefit of using units. Excel just gives you numbers, and the units are your responsibility. With complex formulae, Mathcads ability to handle every type of common unit is a major benefit.

Frank

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:fward)

The reason it's so large is probably those cut and pasted graphics. You should avoid too many of them, because Mathcad doesn't seem to like tons of bitmaps in a file.

I agree 20Mb is not that large, but I don't think it was the size of the file that was the problem.

Top Tags