cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Mathcad 15 license to Prime

ic1
2-Guest
2-Guest

Mathcad 15 license to Prime

Hello, we currently have several floating permanent/subscription licenses for Mathcad 15. Would this license work with Mathcad Prime or would we have to purchase separate licenses for it? Additionally, how would licensing work if we wanted to keep our network licenses for Mathcad 15 and also have network licenses for Mathcad Prime set up?

It has been hard to navigate finding information on this specifically, sorry if this has been posted already or if this is the incorrect location. Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:ic1)

As far as I know it, you can't buy Mathcad 15 licenses aymore for quite some time. Nowadays you only can buy time limited licenses for Prime - no perpetual licenses anymore. The license file you get/generate for Prime will also make the more capable Mathcad 15 happy.

So you may see it as PTC selling Prime and giving away Mathcad 15 along for free.

On the other hand - an older license for Mathcad 15 only will not entitle you to use Prime (as far as I am aware) - but then, why should you want to use an inferior product?

Unfortunately MC15 is only supported in the way that serious bugs are addressed and support for current operating system is implemented. But there will be no development for MC15 in the sense of implementation of new features, etc.

Sooner or later PTC may drop MC15 completely and that will be the moment that Mathad as we know and love it will be dead and gone completely as PTC has shown very clearly over the past 11 years that it is unwilling (or unable) to develop Prime into what Mathcad was more than a decade ago, let alone incorporate any significant innovations. Prime will stay a calc module for Creo and as it looks this was planned so from the very first moment that Mathcad was acquired.

ic1
2-Guest
2-Guest
(To:Werner_E)

Thank you for your response! We purchased our perpetual mathcad 15 licenses awhile back and have the flexnet license manager set up on one of our license severs. A large amount of users still have a need for Mathcad 15 and one group requested Prime. 

It sounds like the only option would be to purchase Prime subscription licenses for this one group. Would you know if it's possible to run Prime subscriptions concurrently with mathcad 15 perpetual/subscription licenses on the same flextnet manager? Or would that cause issues between the two applications?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask these questions, I wasn't able to find a specific email or area to ask questions about licensing and license management. I appreciate the help!

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

This is a user driven support forum and official PTC staff seldom drops by.

I won't expect problems running Prime and Mathcad15-only licenses on a flex server side by side, but I never tried myself, so I can't say for sure.

Problem may occur if Mathcad15 users contact the flex server. Not sure if you can force it some way so they get a license from the older MC15 licensefile. Otherwise they may use up the Prime licenses (which also are valid for MC15).

PTC is a company which is hard to deal with and as you also experienced its very hard to find appropriate contact data if you need support or information.
Maybe @VladimirN  sees this thread an can provide contact data or a mail address where you can send an inquiry to official PTC Staff. He usually is quite helpful doing so.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Here is "Mathcad Installation & Licensing Support Center": https://support.ptc.com/support/mathcad_supportCenter.htm

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

@ic1 wrote:

Thank you for your response! We purchased our perpetual mathcad 15 licenses awhile back and have the flexnet license manager set up on one of our license severs. A large amount of users still have a need for Mathcad 15 and one group requested Prime. 

It sounds like the only option would be to purchase Prime subscription licenses for this one group. Would you know if it's possible to run Prime subscriptions concurrently with mathcad 15 perpetual/subscription licenses on the same flextnet manager? Or would that cause issues between the two applications?

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to ask these questions, I wasn't able to find a specific email or area to ask questions about licensing and license management. I appreciate the help!

Hi,

if you don't want to play with the configuration of FLEXnet then I suggest you to use 2 license servers - one for MC15 licenses and second for MCP licenses.

Martin Hanák
Top Tags