cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

Mathcad 15 student version license issue...

ptc-4985161
1-Newbie

Mathcad 15 student version license issue...

Hi!

I recently just re-installed Mathcad 15 (student version/license) on my Windows 8.1 machine. Every time I start Mathcad 15 I get the dialog saying something to the effect that a license could not be found. So I go through the process every time of choosing to reaquire my licensce via internet from PTC...

Does anyone know of a fix for this aggravating issue?

Thanks,

Pat

3 REPLIES 3

What do you mean by "reinstalled".

Have you installed the software on the very same machine without any hardware changes?

You got a productkey and the first time you installed Mathcad you typed in this key and got a license file via internet which is bound to the MAC of your network interface card.

As far as I know an educational product key is valid for one installation only. So when you intend to reinstall on the same machine you would have to rescue the license file first.

If not or if you change your machine you will have to contact PTC support.

Thanks for your reply.

I re-installed the software on the same machine with at most a hdd change. The NIC would be the same & thus the MAC address. The PTC site allows me to acquire the license and use the software. But each time I re-boot the machine, I have to go thru the same process all over again. When I open the About menu item I notice that the product key is blank.

How do you rescue the license file? Do you mean acquire from PTC via internet as I am doing each time I reboot? That is getting old.

Any suggestions?

How do you rescue the license file? Do you mean acquire from PTC via internet as I am doing each time I reboot?

No, by rescuing the license file I meant you should copy the file license.dat which is located in a subdir (licenses\) of the program installation directory, to a safe place and use that license file when, after the reinstallation, the license manager asks for it.

As you already reinstalled the software its possibly to late.

If my assumption, that the automatic licensing will only allow one installation per edu product key, is correct, this may be an explanation for the behaviour you experience. Possibly you don't get a valid license file.

When you start Mathcad, license it again and, as I understand, are able to work with, look at the license file. You can open it with a normal text editor.

If the problem persist you may have to conatact PTC support to get a new license file.

I am not sure which site or mail address applies for edu licenses so maybe some from the collabs here can help out.

Top Tags