cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

Mathcad 15 vs Excel-objects (32-bit vs. 64-bit?)

ptc-1237786
1-Newbie

Mathcad 15 vs Excel-objects (32-bit vs. 64-bit?)

I have a problem with my Mathcad 15 showing inserted Excel-object the wrong way, when I open a Mathcad-sheet that includes an Exel-object. Could it have anything to do with the fact, that this Mathcad-sheet, with these Excel-objects, was created on an 32-bit machine and I now open it on a 64-bit machine?

Mathcad+vs+Excel.PNG

15 REPLIES 15
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-1237786)

What is actually happening? Is the Excel component resizing when you open?

Leif Pedersen wrote:

Could it have anything to do with the fact, that this Mathcad-sheet, with these Excel-objects, was created on an 32-bit machine and I now open it on a 64-bit machine?

I have not had this issue before when using worksheets developed using 32-bit machines.

Message was edited by: Mike Armstrong

The zoom factor, which is set to 100% in your screeshot - was it 100% when you edited and saved the sheet the last time? I am not sure if embedded ojects are affected by this, but the widths of text regions sure are.

There where postings in the past about inserted pictures changing their position when saving and reopening the worksheet (on the same machine), but I can't remember if there ever was a solution or work around.

I guess its not a 32bit vs 64 bit issue, but of course can't say that for sure.

Here is a thread I found about positioning problems with embedded objects. Maybe the solution the original poster found is of help to you: http://communities.ptc.com/message/231792#231792

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:Werner_E)

Well found Werner. I do remember this coming up in the past and if I remember correctly, unchecking "Allow object to resize itself" worked.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Well found Werner. I do remember this coming up in the past and if I remember correctly, unchecking "Allow object to resize itself" worked.

At least thats the solution the OP posted there, yes.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

At least thats the solution the OP posted there, yes.

Oh good. I have had Excel object behave very strangely in the past, depending on the data inside, especially if I have displays graphs.

Mathcad never was really good at those things unfortunately.

No problem in Prime though as you can't insert objects at all.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

It does have an Excel component though, which is an improvemnt IMO.

I can't tell which versions Excel component is better.

I have always tried to avoid inserting those components as I don't like the idea of having another bigger program running in the background just to be able to provide some data in Mathcad. I would either use READEXCEL or, if the data doesn't change regularily and I want the sheet to be selfcontained I would use "Insert-Data" (which is not available in Prime).

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Hopefully going forward, the new mixed unit tables within Prime will reduce my dependence on Excel also.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Hopefully going forward,

It has to do in this direction. Only question is the speed and how many backsteps are made inbetween.

the new mixed unit tables within Prime will reduce my dependence on Excel also.

That sure is an improvement. The new tanle with the unit headers are not, unless we are able to copy data from other sources in as in MC15 with "Insert-Data". It also would be nice to have a similiar display mode for matrices with mixed dimensions. Another necessary improvement would be that we cannot only display matrices with different dimension but also with different units of the same dimension. A vector consisting of three length and I'd like to see one element as meter, the next in millimeter and the third in feet. Thats not possible at the moment.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I second that idea.

I would also like to be able pass variables and vectors to tables, which is also not possible.

Mike Armstrong wrote:

I second that idea.

I would also like to be able pass variables and vectors to tables, which is also not possible.

Yes, thats what I meant when I wrote that it would be nice to have a similiar display mode for matrices.

Lots of wishes, sure, but the main one remains "make that proggy finally useable for serious work!" And this does not only address the (missing) features.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Werner Exinger wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

I second that idea.

Yes, thats what I meant when I wrote that it would be nice to have a similiar display mode for matrices.

Oops sorry.

Werner Exinger wrote:

Lots of wishes, sure, but the main one remains "make that proggy finally useable for serious work!" And this does not only address the (missing) features.

One day.........

Mike Armstrong wrote:

Werner Exinger wrote:

Mike Armstrong wrote:

I second that idea.

Oops sorry.

No problem. The idea of not just displaying one matrix that way but passing matrices and vectors individually in a bigger table is an extension anyway 😉

Can you attach this worksheet with Excel object?

Top Tags