cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Mathcad Application has stopped working

rcarr-2
4-Participant

Mathcad Application has stopped working

I have Mathcad14 (32-bit) at installed on a 64-bit Windows 7 machine at work and Mathcad periodically stops working. A pop-up window states:

"Mathcad Application has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program."

This usually happens after IT pushes 'Windows Updates' on my machine, but not all the time.

I tried running the Mathcad licensing program MCLicense.exe and it complains about not being able to write licensing information to the registry, for which I have no access rights being a work computer. Having IT run this (with full rights) does not solve the problem either soit would appear that registry rights is not the root cause. Seems to be something amiss with the .Net framework.

The standard way to fix this is to raise an IT service request to removes and re-install MathCad14. This takes about 30 minutes.

Has anyone else had this issue? What would be a quicker way to resolve it?

8 REPLIES 8
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:rcarr-2)

Which version of MC14?

rcarr-2
4-Participant
(To:RichardJ)

version 14.0.0.163 [build 701291152]

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

That's an old version of MC14. I think the last version was M030, whereas you are on M000.

I do have these notes to myself about installing M030 in Win7 (yeah, I'm a pack rat!):

If you want to install Mathcad 14 on a clean Windows 7, you must check that the following is installed:
    Microsoft.NET Framework 2.0
    MSXML 4.0 SP2 or later
    Microsoft Data Access Components MDAC 2.6 or later
    VS2005 SP1 DLLs (usually installed with Microsoft Office) - could be downloaded manually from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5638

Note that .NET 2.0 does not mean .NET 2.0 or later. It means .NET 2.0 (you can have multiple versions of .NET installed at the same time).

rcarr-2
4-Participant

Many thanks Richard. I'll look into this and try to get the latest version on MC14. Are you associated with PTC?

R.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

LOL. It depends on what you mean by "Associated". I was a member of an advisory group for Mathsoft, back in the good days. That was dissolved when PTC took over, but I was still in communication with the development group. That has fallen off over the years, as almost everyone I know has left. Maybe even everyone. I have not had any contact with anyone there since the beta test program for Prime 4.0. The stated release date for Prime 5.0 has been and gone, and PTC has not posted a new date, so maybe there is no Mathcad development group any more. Anyway, at this point in time, if I still have any association with PTC it's so small I think I lost it somewhere Smiley LOL

rcarr-2
4-Participant

Hi Richard,

Not quite sure how to install MC14 on a clean Windows 10. Would you know how to do that?

ray

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

My best guess is that the requirements are the same as given above, but I have no idea if those can be installed in Windows 10 (or, even if they can, whether MC14 can be installed in Windows 10).

rcarr-2
4-Participant

Hi Richard,

I installed MC14 (Mathcad, version 14.0.0.163 [build 701291152]) on my 64-bit Win10 work computer this morning. I did not need to install any other additional Microsoft s/w (.NET or other).

During the installation process, there were about 100 pop-up windows about missing help files I simply chose to ‘Ignore’ these (my right index was getting a bit tired).

PTC provided a new license file in about 1 hour yesterday, as this was a transfer from my old PC to a new one.

Licensing via the license manager went smoothly as well; I was actually impressed.

Needless to say the built-in help system is not working, but that’s ok.

Regards,

Raymond Carr

Top Tags