cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Mathcad File suddenly corrupt and giving message "The file type is not supported. Log file is located at...etc"

araouf
1-Newbie

Mathcad File suddenly corrupt and giving message "The file type is not supported. Log file is located at...etc"

After working on a Mathcad file for more than 2 months and for a design job I am doing, I tried to open the file today, but it won't open at all.

I tried from several computers.

Every time I get a message saying:

The file type is not supported. Log file is located at...etc

I have not updated the tile type. So obviously the software corrupted the file last time it was saving it or so.

Now how do I retrieve 2 months worth of work?

I was going to negotiate with my management to upgrade to a paid version of Mathcad and use it as the standard tool for all our calculations. But now I don't trust it.

Please advise how to retrieve the file contents.

thanks

12 REPLIES 12
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:araouf)

I understand that you're using Prime Express.

You supplied ony the .log file. That is of little use to retreive the Prime sheet.

Note that the .mcdx file is essentially an archive file.

Create a copy of the .mcdx file and change its type (file extension) to .zip.

Now you can open the archive and inspect its contents, maybe you can find the 'corruption' yourself. If not, maybe this community can help, if you (are allowed by your company to) attach the .mcdx or the .zip file.

Success!
Luc

P.S. In two months of work you should have some backup(s).... that is if you abide by the 11th commandment "Thou shalt make backups."

LucMeekes wrote:

... In two months of work you should have some backup(s)...

Completely agree.

Thanks for the reply.

I have a backup and used the backup file. But this is not the point.

The point is how to restore a corrupt file.

I converted the file into a zip file as per your steps. the zip file shows the files inside it, but can't extract any file. it gives an error message whenever I try to extract any file.

Thanks

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Well, if a corrupt file means: "the file has been completely destroyed" as Richard writes below

(I remember inspecting a corrupt Prime file where the worksheet part was completely empty)

then backup is the point for restoring a corrupt file.

Of course, apart from the fact that Prime should be modified such that it does not create a corrupt file....

Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

This can depend on the program you are using to unzip it. More likely though, the file is trashed. Open the zip file in Notepad (or, if you have it, Notepad++). What do you see?

Can someone help me with this file?

Here's a first try.

There sure are some regions missing now and it may be that others are able to repair with less damage.

Thank you very much!

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

This has come up several times before. In all previous cases the file has been completely destroyed. If you are allowed to post it here we'll take a look, but not with much hope of a solution.

Thanks for the advice.

I will check with the company and advise accordingly.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

You can also send your issue to PTC's technical support by using "Mathcad Support Center" (you can do it, even if you use Express version of Prime):

Mathcad Support Center

http://blogs.ptc.com/2011/09/22/how-to-use-the-brand-new-online-mathcad-support-center/

Thanks for the advice.

I will try to contact them via the methods you provided.

Top Tags