cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Mathcad 'Odesolve' to solve boundary value problem

ytc
1-Newbie
1-Newbie

Mathcad 'Odesolve' to solve boundary value problem

Hi,

I tried to solve a boundary value problem of a nonlinear sytem of differential equations, but with no success. The 'odesolve' command keeps saying not able to converge to solution. It is a boundary value problem, so naturally there are 7 prescribed initial conditions and 6 prescribed conditions at the other end (See attached mathcad file), but it keeps saying not able to converge and suggest to change initial guess values. However, there is no way to change them in the solve block. Instead I have reprogram the problem using cumbersome 'c' language using ISML library to carry out multiple shooting strategy to solve the problem, and it works. It seems that the 'odesolve' command does not support multiple shooting strategy to solve highly non-linear system of ordinary differential equations with boundary conditions prescribed at the terminal ends of integration.

Is there any workaround to force the 'odesolve' command to converge in mathcad. Experts out here care to comment and give your view.

5 REPLIES 5
MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:ytc)

Re-post the worksheet in M11 format for a wider audience.

Mike

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

I know (it seems to me) the OdeSolve-function solves correct the boundary task for one ODE but not correct for n ODEs.

>it seems to me

See the attach

f.kohlhepp
1-Newbie

Is there any workaround to force the 'odesolve' command to converge in mathcad.

You can try the command line solvers (rkfixed,rkadapt, etc.) and the "bvalfit" function that is supposed to turn boundary value problems into initial condition problems. I've never had a lot of luck . . .

ytc
1-Newbie
1-Newbie
(To:f.kohlhepp)

Thanks for your response. But still I have no much luck with the 'bvalfit' function. Anyway, I give it one more try and see how it goes. Another thing with the 'odesolve' function is that it does not seem to give you an option to use multiple shooting algorithm, which could be essential in solving highly non-linear boundary value problem.

Top Tags