cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Mathcad Prime 2.0 Alpha Testing Is Closed

mzeftel
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime 2.0 Alpha Testing Is Closed

We currently have enough alpha testers for this round. Thank you for your interest.

Mona Zeftel

Mathcad Senior Technical Consultant

PTC

23 REPLIES 23
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:mzeftel)

Mona, hello!

Before what date it is possible to send the application for the specified e-mail address?

Vladimir

Hello Vladimir,

You can send in the form now. We will be selecting alpha testers in order to get a range of types of users.

Mona

Loris
1-Newbie

is tehere the autosave in version 2?

The features for Mathcad Prime 2.0 are not yet final.

Mona

Loris
1-Newbie

so, ADD autosave, then propose it back.

I think there is a lot of people here glad to contribute in testing, but I'ma afraid very few people like to waste time when the program crashes.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Why don't you ask if it is to be included first??????

Mike

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I take it features have been prioritized though?

Mike

Loriano,

Please see my other reply to you in another thread. The crashes you are experiencing for Mathcad Prime 1.0 are due to a Microsoft issue on XP. The Read This First document in Mathcad Prime 1.0 explains how to install a hotfix to fix that issue.

The hotfix is not an issue for Mathcad Prime 2.0.

Mona

Loris
1-Newbie

The point is that I see a great lack in user consideration from PTC.

And the absence of autosave is a great signal about it, it means that the time I spend on the sheet is nothing for you.

I can justify this in case both the SO than the software are so sure that is "impossible" to crash, but is not the case.

In the feature list is not present, I asked about it and the answer is "the feature list is not yet final".. for you what does it means?

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

And the absence of autosave is a great signal about it, it means that the time I spend on the sheet is nothing for you.

I can justify this in case both the SO than the software are so sure that is "impossible" to crash, but is not the case.

I have never used autosave with any piece of software, so that hasn't really bothered me.

In the feature list is not present, I asked about it and the answer is "the feature list is not yet final".. for you what does it means?

I have made my thoughts quite clear on this forum about Prime 2.0, but I regularly use M15, which I am happy with. I believe Prime 2.0 will be a massive improvemnt.

Mike

Loris
1-Newbie

Please see my other reply to you in another thread. The crashes you are experiencing for Mathcad Prime 1.0 are due to a Microsoft issue on XP.

The Read This First document in Mathcad Prime 1.0 explains how to install a hotfix to fix that issue.

I read your replay, and replaid too.

Let me be clear, your (ptc employee) time is precious as our (users) time. But we are MORE, so 10 minutes lost for 600 users are 100 hours lost for the users.

There are a lot of stuff that requires a ridicolous amount of time for you to be done, but can save a lot of time for us.

Just to say: in the installer make a check if the current environment has some incompability and in case fix it or at least say "hey! you must reinstall .net to avoid crashes, pelase do these steps".

The other is teh autosave,

Each thing is about 1 hour work for any decent programmer (comprises the testing time).

And all togheter is less than the time I spent for making my sheet in prime, remaking it when crashed, and then rewite everything in M15.

CAn I guess at least 100 users had the same issue and lost 1 hour each for the crashes due the .net bug?

it's 100 hours total lost. for a stuff you can fix in 1 hour. Thank you very much.

Why don't think about it PRIOR to make a fancy toolbar?

And, you have a forum, users writes here their whishlist, how much of the requests are really implemented in matcad? Do some users asked for the new fancy toolbar? REALLY?

Loris.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

I have never used autosave with any piece of software, so that hasn't really bothered me.

+1

Loading MC Prime

I tried ten times to load this software onto a m/c running Vista Ultimate protected by Trend Microcillin. eventually after repairing framework.net it loaded. I was suprrised how load MCP2 takes to load with no other packages running and disconnected from the Internet.

This has delayed me looking at the features in MCP2.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Yes, you need to preinstall .NET Framework 4.0 before installing MP2.

Is there a chance for me to get a alpha wersion (or any) of Prime 2.0? Problem is that I would like to use it in my BSc Thesis. I use Prime 1.0 but I realised that my calculations must be visible to adviser (substitiution in equation). I need a explicit function.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Mathcad Prime 2.0 hasn't been released yet so you shouldn't be using it for work such as your Thesis. Have you not got Mathcad 15?

Mike

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Hello!

Mathcad Prime 2.0 release scheduled for Q1 2012. Why don't you use for this purpose Mathcad 15 (the 30-day version here: http:// www.ptc.com/products/mathcad/mathcad-15-0/free-trial.htm), there exists a symbolic function "explicit"?

I have, but Prime is much better and 15 doesn't works with units.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

I have, but Prime is much better and 15 doesn't works with units.

I am very surprised by that comment. Mathcad Prime 1.0 does not have half of the features that Mathcad 15 has. Mathcad Prime is a work in progress.

What do you mean M15 doesn't work with units?

Mike

Mike,

Mathcad Prime 1.0 has many unit features that are not in Mathcad 15. Mathcad Prime 1.0 uses dynamic units instead of static unit checking. All functions when it makes sense to do so, now support units. You can work with mixed units in matrices, tables, and plots.

Best regards,

Mona

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

Mathcad Prime 1.0 has many unit features that are not in Mathcad 15. Mathcad Prime 1.0 uses dynamic units instead of static unit checking. All functions when it makes sense to do so, now support units. You can work with mixed units in matrices, tables, and plots.

Mona,

I'm aware that the way Prime handles units is a massive improvement on M15, but Jerzy doesn't state that in his post. He simple says "15 doesn't work with units.". I am a massive fan of the dynamic units and mixed unit matrices and tables.

Mike

Mike,

I tried to work on M15 and I found It very difficult to organise my calculations in the way my auditors like. (Units, substitiutions, text formating and so on). That's why I am so pleased to work on Prime - is simpliest of all and great for presenting results.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member

(Units, substitiutions, text formating and so on). That's why I am so pleased to work on Prime - is simpliest of all and great for presenting results.

Prime is defiantly heading in the right direction when it comes to unit handling, but I still don't agree that the formatting is up to M15 standard. Presenting result in the tables and Excel component is nice in Prime, but I usually display my results above where calculated and at present Prime does not have that option.

Mike

Top Tags