cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Mathcad Prime 2.0 will not convert Mathcad 15 files.

Stillc
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime 2.0 will not convert Mathcad 15 files.

Mathcad Prime 2.0 and MC 15 are both running on my Win7 machine. Prime will not convert even the most basic MC 15 files.

14 REPLIES 14
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:Stillc)

Stillman Chase wrote:

Mathcad Prime 2.0 and MC 15 are both running on my Win7 machine. Prime will not convert even the most basic MC 15 files.

Is there an error message from the converter or do you mean that the files are converted but are not working correct in Prime?

Given that MC15 still is a much more powerful version than Prime 3 I think that Prime2 is a version not worth dealing with.

Thanks for your reply. The converter gives a "failed" message and a converted file is not produced.

I read elsewhere something about "pointing" the 2.0 license to the MC 15 app, but it't not clear.

I agree that Prime 2.0 is a disaster, but I'm trying to put the best face on it.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I read elsewhere something about "pointing" the 2.0 license to the MC 15 app, but it't not clear.

So your MC15 is not yet licensed? Is it working when you invoke it or is it crying for a license? If the latter is the case than thats the reason for the conversion failing - you need a functioning (which after the 30 day trial means licensed) MC15 version.

Another reason I could think of is that your MC15 is too old. I don't remember which, but every version of Prime seems to need the current (at the time the version is released) maintainance release of Mathcad 15. So you may consider downloading and installing the current one.

As of the license file: When you buy Prime (any version) you get Mathcad 15 for free (I see it the other way round 😉 so you are entitled to use MC15 as well. When you install Prime you have to enter the product code you got (and which is valid for Prime only, not for installation of Mathcad 15) and during installation you get a license file from the PTC licensing server. To see where that file was stored, you can fire up Prime, click at the orange M at the upper left, chose Options and select the "License" tab. In the lower half you should see "File: ..." followed by the path to the license file. copy that path to the clipboard.

When you now start Mathcad 15 and you are after your trial period you will be prompted to start the license manager. Agree and chose "I want to configure Mathcad to use an existing license file" and in the next window enter (copy) the path you just looked up in Prime.

If you are still in your trial period you can either invoke Mathcad using a switch ("Mathcad /license") or start the program "mclicense.exe" in the "......\Mathcad 15\mclicense\" directory.

I bought MC 15 and Prime together and both work fine separately. I'm reluctant to change anything about the MC 15 license for fear of messing it up. Maybe I should leave well enought alone, since I don't plan on doing much with Prime 2.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

As Mathcad 15 is working fine separately, there should also be no need for licensing it again, it seems already licensed. So the problem for not being able to convert has to be something else.

Which version (maintainance relase) of MC15 are you using? Go to help, then about Mathcad. At the top of the window which shos uo you should see something like "Mathcad 15.0 (M030 [MC15_M030_20131216])" thats the current release M030 which was built on 16th of december in 2013).

It's Mathcad 15.0 (M010 [MC15_M010_20110622]), and as mentioned, I have Prime 2.0.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

You may try to download and install the current MC15 M030. I can't remember if Prime2 was happy with M010 or if it needed M020 for the converter to work.

Did you ever had Prime3 installed on that computer? While Prime2 and Prime3 can coexist, the installation of P3 kills the converter from P2 and you are not able anymore to convert files to P2 format (and P2 can't read P3 files and P3 cannot save in P2 format, ...).

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Hi,

Can you provide some MC15 worksheets for testing?

Vladimir,

Sure, how do I attach them to my email?

Still C

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Chose "Use advaced editor" at the upper right of the postings windows to be able to attach files at the end.

But the way you describe the problem and as you wrote at the beginning that even themost simplest sheets fail I don't think that the content of the files is the problem.

Werner,

Actually, Prime 2.0 will not convert a simple MC15 file with just "A = 1" in it. So it wouldn't do much good to send more complicated files.

Stillc

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Stillman Chase wrote:

Werner,

Actually, Prime 2.0 will not convert a simple MC15 file with just "A = 1" in it. So it wouldn't do much good to send more complicated files.

Stillc

That was my point - its not the files but rather something else.

Have you ever had Prime 3 on that machine?

Have you already tried the current MC15 release (M030)?

Werner,

I think the problem is that I thought I have Prime 2.0 installed, but in fact have Prime Express 2.0 which does not have many of the Prime 2.0 features.

Why I have Prime Express 2.0 and not Prime 2.0 is another question...

Stillc

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Prime Express and regular Prime is the same software. Its the license file which makes for the difference.

You wrote that MC15 is running OK, so at least MC15 seems to be either licensed or you are still in th 30 days trial period. Whatever is the case, you should be able to convert sheets even if Prime isn't licensed and is just in Express mode.

The things I could think of why the conversion fails are

• Your Mathcad 15 isn't licensed and the trial time i sover (seems not to be the case as you write MC15 works OK)
  • Prime2 converter needs a newer maintainance release of MC15 (in that case you should download and install the latest maintainance release
  • You had Prime3 installed to give it a try and uninstalled it. Prime 3 destroys the Prime2 converter and I don't know if an uninstall will repair it.
Top Tags