cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Mathcad Prime 3.0 - Student Version

jkrulak
1-Newbie

Mathcad Prime 3.0 - Student Version

Hello everyone,

i am student who use Mathcad 15.0 and i am wondering to update on version Prime 3.0.

I would like to ask: - is possible to update on full version after school and if will i can to open my school project in full version?

- is possible to print projects from student version?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jan Krulak wrote:

Hello everyone,

i am student who use Mathcad 15.0 and i am wondering to update on version Prime 3.0.

Given the quality and functional range of Prime 3 this would be a downgrade!

I would like to ask: - is possible to update on full version after school and if will i can to open my school project in full version?

You are now using a student version of Mathcad 15. As far as I know this version is only limited in the way that you don't have access to the features of the four extension packs (Data Analysis, Image Processing, Signal Processing and Wavelets). There is no difference in file format. After you leave school the software will still run but of course you are not entitled any more to use it.

So if you plan to use Mathcad/Prime after school and do not qualify for an eductional version, you may either use the free PrimeExpress or buy a regular copy of Prime.

PrimeExpress is a crippled version without symbolics, without programming and a lot of other features and commands like 3D-plots are also missing. So its only good for rather basic sheets. Furthermore you will not be able to convert and read sheets from older versions, as you are missing Mathcad 15.

If you buy Prime you get a copy of Mathcad15 for free with it. As someone said here its like buying the tail and getting the dog for free.

Neither version of Prime3 will be able to open files in Mathcad 15 format, but if you have a full version of MC15 installed you can use a conversion program. Ever so often converted (MC15->P3) sheets won't run in Prime because of the mediocre quality of the converter and because Prime3 simply is missing a lot of features which are available in Mathcad 15 and below. So it depends upon the content of your MC15 sheet if you will have success with the conversion and be able to edit and print the converted sheet in Prime3.

But I guess you can give it a try yourself. Download and install the trial version of Prime3. It will be in full mode for the evaluation period and then automatically fall back in Express mode. I am not sure and it may depend on the maintance release of your Mathcad 15 version, but I guess you will be able to use the converter because you have a working MC15 installed. So you can see if your sheets work with Prime after conversion.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Jan Krulak wrote:

Hello everyone,

Given the quality and functional range of Prime 3 this would be a downgrade!

You are now using a student version of Mathcad 15. As far as I know this version is only limited in the way that you don't have access to the features of the four extension packs (Data Analysis, Image Processing, Signal Processing and Wavelets). There is no difference in file format. After you leave school the software will still run but of course you are not entitled any more to use it.

So if you plan to use Mathcad/Prime after school and do not qualify for an eductional version, you may either use the free PrimeExpress or buy a regular copy of Prime.

PrimeExpress is a crippled version without symbolics, without programming and a lot of other features and commands like 3D-plots are also missing. So its only good for rather basic sheets. Furthermore you will not be able to convert and read sheets from older versions, as you are missing Mathcad 15.

If you buy Prime you get a copy of Mathcad15 for free with it. As someone said here its like buying the tail and getting the dog for free.

Neither version of Prime3 will be able to open files in Mathcad 15 format, but if you have a full version of MC15 installed you can use a conversion program. Ever so often converted (MC15->P3) sheets won't run in Prime because of the mediocre quality of the converter and because Prime3 simply is missing a lot of features which are available in Mathcad 15 and below. So it depends upon the content of your MC15 sheet if you will have success with the conversion and be able to edit and print the converted sheet in Prime3.

But I guess you can give it a try yourself. Download and install the trial version of Prime3. It will be in full mode for the evaluation period and then automatically fall back in Express mode. I am not sure and it may depend on the maintance release of your Mathcad 15 version, but I guess you will be able to use the converter because you have a working MC15 installed. So you can see if your sheets work with Prime after conversion.

Thank you for helpful answer.

Raiko
16-Pearl
(To:jkrulak)

Hi Jan,

I don't recommend using Mathcad prime. Stick as long as you can with Mathcad 15. Even if the graphing tools are a bit dated it is running and does not have a limited set of features as in Mathcad Prime.

Cheers

Raiko

jkrulak
1-Newbie
(To:Raiko)

Hello Raiko,

Thank you for recommendation. I will try trial 30 day version and than I will see what is better.

Kind rigards,

Jan.

Top Tags