cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Mathcad Prime 4.0 doesn't start anymore.

Maxo
4-Participant

Mathcad Prime 4.0 doesn't start anymore.

Hi, I'm using the Mathcad Prime 4.0 free version. The programm was working perfectly fine, but now when I try to run the program it doesn't work anymore. The mathcad logo appears, but then it disappears again and a main window never shows up.

Then if I check the Task Manager, I can see that the program is running in the background.

I already tried to reinstall mathcad but it also doesn't work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:Maxo)

1. Create a backup (or just archive) of the config file (in this directory: C:\Users\CurrentUser\AppData\Local\PTC\).
2. Delete the current config file (in this directory: C:\Users\CurrentUser\AppData\Local\PTC\).
3. Run Mathcad Prime again.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

I would not know a reason for this behaviour right away. Some points of attention:

What did you change to your Operating System (Windows) installation between where it still worked, and where it didn't anymore?

Any updates, installation of additional software or drivers?

Did you delete the entire Prime directory before re-installing Prime?

And what about the C:\PTC\DiagnosticTools directory. Did you clean that away as well?

Luc

Maxo
4-Participant
(To:LucMeekes)

Hi, first of all thanks for all the replies!

Actually I didn't change anything to my operating system, maybe there was an automatic windows update. Have to check that. The thing is that I was regulary using Mathcad, since I'm working on an uni project 😕

I didn't use the program for maybe a week and now I have the issue..

I tried to delete all files linked to mathcad + the diagnostic tools, but it also didn't help.

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I had this once in 4.0 also.  It was infact open, just completely off the screen somehow.  I think I right-clicked the icon in the task menu and maximized or something and got it to appear.  Back in the day this would happen in windows and you had to use MOVE to shift it back onto the screen, so that might be an option also if it still exists.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:DJF)

I would not expect this to persist over a re-installation...

DJF
16-Pearl
16-Pearl

I won't disagree, but there must be a preferences file somewhere it reads when it opens up - if that isn't wiped out then it might come across to the new install.  When I reinstall Chrome or similar programs all my previous preferences come across.  Anyway, it's still something to try.

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

it looks like the main window is displayed on second monitor and this monitor is not available. If this is the case then you can follow steps mentioned on https://superuser.com/questions/53585/how-to-move-windows-that-open-up-offscreen page:

• Use ALTTAB to switch to the off-screen application.
  • Press ALTSPACE to bring up the system menu (you won't see it because it is off screen)
  • Press R to select the "Restore" menu choice to ensure the windows isn't is maximized (you can not move it if it is maximized)
  • Press ALTSPACE again, then M to select the "Move" menu choice.
  • Press one of the arrow keys to initiate the movement.
  • Now just use the mouse to place the window where you want.

If you are using a non-english version of Windows, the "R" and "M" menu choices probably wil be different.

Martin Hanák
Maxo
4-Participant
(To:MartinHanak)

Hey Martin,

thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately it also doesn't resolve the issue, since I can't find Mathcad in the "off-screen application list" (when using ALT and TAB). 

But I was using a second monitor the last time mathcad was working properly. Do you think that the issue is linked to that ?

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

if you want to test, whether the problem is related to to second monitor, you have to connect it 🙂

I do not have MATHCAD Prime on my PC, now, therefore I tried to test Notepad++. In case of this editor, information about its window position is save in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Notepad++\config.xml file. When I removed this file, Notepad++ window was displayed on first monitor.

Maybe MATHCAD Prime has similar file somewhere in C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming directory (or MATHCAD sub-directory or PTC sub-directory) ...

Martin Hanák
Maxo
4-Participant

I tried starting Mathcad via a second monitor, but it also won't start properly...

before that I also deleted all the mathcad - config.xml files but it didn't help either 😕

MartinHanak
24-Ruby II

Hi,

login as different user (also try Admin) and test Mathcad. This way you will find out if the problem is related to user.

Martin Hanák
Maxo
4-Participant

Hi,

I only have one profile/user plus I tried to start mathcad as a admin.. didn't work

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Please check this directory for Mathcad Prime config file: C:\Users\CurrentUser\AppData\Local\PTC\

Maxo
4-Participant
(To:VladimirN)

@VladimirN wrote:

Please check this directory for Mathcad Prime config file: C:\Users\CurrentUser\AppData\Local\PTC\

okay and what should I do with this file ?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

You may want to try what happens if the config file cannot be found by Prime.

Don't delete it, but make it invisible (rename it, or move it to another location). That way you can move it back if it doesn't help, or worse happens.

Success!
Luc

Maxo
4-Participant

@LucMeekes wrote:

You may want to try what happens if the config file cannot be found by Prime.

Don't delete it, but make it invisible (rename it, or move it to another location). That way you can move it back if it doesn't help, or worse happens.

Success!
Luc

Yeah, it is working again ! I moved the file to the recycling bin and then after trying it again I moved it back to the orgin... Thanks a lot guys !

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

1. Create a backup (or just archive) of the config file (in this directory: C:\Users\CurrentUser\AppData\Local\PTC\).
2. Delete the current config file (in this directory: C:\Users\CurrentUser\AppData\Local\PTC\).
3. Run Mathcad Prime again.

Hi guys,

I have the same problem and delete or rename the user directory doesn't work for me.

I also try the deinstall, flush all the directory/files that's connected to Mathcad Prime and I still have the problem.

It's weird cause when I click the icon, I have the pop-up screen of Prime and it's suddendly close but the processes still run.

If you have some advise.

Oh and i'm not the only one at my job to have the problem.

Thx!

Hi,

I think your problem is reported in https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS277907 document.

Martin Hanák
K2
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

Thank you. I followed your advice and CS277907 and installed Net framework 4.7.2 and Mathcad now works. Much appreciated.

What version of Mathcad Prime?

Had the same issue with Mathcad Prime 6 (but not Prime 5). Deleted config file and restarted application as suggested in this answer and the issue was solved.

Quantum
3-Visitor

I have excactly the same Problem (OS: Windows 7) and I am not able to find any solution for it.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Hi Maxo,

your hard drive is about to break. So I advise you to save everything and replace it with a new one, and after installing the operating system, purchase and install a good antivirus (The others, the free ones do not serve anything), then install mathcad.

Greetings -MF-

Quantum
3-Visitor
(To:-MFra-)

This Problem has nothing to do with a corrupt hard drive.

Maxo
4-Participant
(To:-MFra-)

Yeah, don't think that it has to do anything with the harddrive... otherwise I would have already noticed it. I mean all other programms are working fine PLUS i am using mcafee antivirus

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

What Windows OS are you using?

Maxo
4-Participant
(To:VladimirN)

Windows 10, just installed the latest update (win10 fall creators update)

Top Tags