cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Mathcad Prime 4.0: some new updates

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

Mathcad Prime 4.0: some new updates

At the last event "PTC LiveWorx Europe 2015" in November of 2015 it was presented a roadmap for the development of Mathcad Prime 4.0 and some future steps (themes) for Prime direction. Let's see what updates are planned for version 4.0 (now the release of version 4.0 is scheduled for the 4th quarter of 2016 year) and is scheduled for subsequent releases after 4.0. PDF "PTC Mathcad Roadmap_2015" can be found in attachment.

Mathcad Prime 4.0_logo.png

Here is a list of major improvements for Prime 4.0:

• Plot enhancements (embed 3rd party tool);
  • Mathcad as an OLE container;
  • Worksheet content protection (area protection/area locking);
  • Copy multiple regions to clipboard;
  • Equation wrapping.

Pic_1.png

1. Plot enhancements: embed 3rd party tool to match PTC Mathcad 15.0 plots on first release.

Pic_2.png

Pic_3.png

Pic_4.png

Pic_5.png

Pic_6.png

Pic_7.png

2. Mathcad as an OLE container: ability to embed applications as OLE objects within the worksheet.

Pic_8.png

3. Content Protection: area protection/locking.

Pic_9.png

4. Improved external app interoperability: copy multiple regions to MS Word.

Pic_10.png

5. Equation wrapping: allow an equation to be split/wrapped as specific points.

Pic_11.png

6. Subsequent release themes.

• Plot Improvements

– Utilize more capabilities from 3rd party tool

• Functionality

– Constrained inputs (input controls)

– Picture operator

– Text styles

– Hyperlinks

– Program debugging

– Redefinition warnings

– Scripted components

– Gradient operator

– PDESolve

• Integration Improvements

– PTC Creo integration phase II

– API enhancements

– Additional 3rd party integrations

Pic_12.png

55 REPLIES 55

Mathcad Gateway webcast replay (February 2016😞

Video Link : 6769

Thank You | PTC Mathcad Gateway Webcast Replay | PTC

Screenshot from Mathcad Prime 4.0 preview at LiveWorx 2016:

Pic_new.png

It was also noted that Mathcad Prime 4.0 is coming in December 2016. New timeline for Mathcad/Mathcad Prime product:

Roadmap.png

New post "Report from LiveWorx: A Peek at What’s Coming in Mathcad Prime 4.0" on Mathcad blog: Report from LiveWorx: A Peek at What’s Coming in Mathcad Prime 4.0  | PTC

Can't help but notice that "plot enhancements" are no longer listed in the Prime 4.0 improvements.  PTC had been bragging about their planned plot enhancements for a while now.  Are they really dropping that from 4.0?  Bit off more than they could chew?

Hello

Thanks for the information.

I use MathCad since its 2.1 DOS version.

I use it mainly for spreadsheets in strength of materials with ontrol of the units.

I expect a lot from this new version 4.0.

I used some time as Mathematica.

I also use Maple and MapleSim 2016.

Maple that I discovered in a version of MathCad at the time ontained several other software.

Kind regards.

Denis.

MikeArmstrong
5-Regular Member
(To:VladimirN)

Looking promising

In June of 2016 year within an annual meeting conference "PTC LiveWorx 2016" the new program of development for Mathcad Prime was submitted. For future release of Mathcad Prime 4.0 the same new planned features were shown in the program about which I wrote earlier above here (except for expanded options of creation of 2D plots - this feature is transferred it for 5.0 version). PDF "PTC Mathcad Roadmap_2016" can be found in attachment.

Thank you!

qm
6-Contributor
6-Contributor

... and nothing regarding the UI improvement?

The existing ugly and non-functional UI is from Dark Ages. The plague is the only thing missing.

PTC, please also update the UI in v4. It's so easy.

...having bought Mathematica after PTC broke Mathcad, I can't see why anyone still bothers with Mathcad (other than to use legacy worksheets - which is the only reason I still use it). It's a shame because Mathcad used to be a really good product. But no more. Mathematica may take a little longer to get to grips with, but its so much better than Mathcad. In every way.  The colleague who introduced me to Mathematica described it as "Mathcad on steroids". Which is pretty much spot on. 

It's almost the end of 2016, according to the roadmap Mathcad Prime 4.0 will be released soon.

Is there any news about this version?

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone
(To:SeanYing)

Hello

Do we know if this is a version 32 or 64 bit as Creo 4.0.

Will it change your computer?

Kind regards.

Denis

Denis Jaunin написал(а):

Hello

Do we know if this is a version 32 or 64 bit as Creo 4.0.

Will it change your computer?

Kind regards.

Denis

No

According to the latest issue of "PTC Support Advisor" release of Mathcad Prime 4.0 is scheduled for February 2017.

It seems that only last week in a calendar date for a release has changed to February 2017.

Pic_.png

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

So it should arrive before February 29th...

Luc

So disappointing for subscription holders - not really sure how paying a fee every year for the same software is a benefit. There has been horribly little evolution in the last 3 years as far as I can tell. This is really below par for any professional software. The potential is there, but a shrinking user base makes it less and less relevant. Bummer - you guys should be ashamed.

vroberts
6-Contributor
(To:mbotke)

I agree with Matthew.  It's been almost 2 years since the release of the almost useless Prime 3.1. I have hung on hoping that 4.0 or 5.0 will finally have the features we need. My license runs until the end of March. If 4.0 is not out, or if it does not represent a significant upgrade, them I'm through with PTC.

Yesterday came the announcement of the release at the end of February 2017 the new version of Mathcad Prime 4.0. Data sheet for this release are in attachment.

vroberts
6-Contributor

Thanks for the update. The end of February release date is good news.  However, while the data sheet brags about producing professional documents" it says nothing about a spell checker. In the absence of a spell checker, Prime cannot be used to produce "professional documents."

The presentation about Mathcad Prime 4.0 from the PTC Forum Europe which was in November 2016 (and also in attachment): http://bit.ly/2lAVtVl

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

Hello

We are February 28, 2017, someone knows or has the version of

MathCad prime 4.0?

Kind regards.

Denis

Denis Jaunin написал(а):

Hello

We are February 28, 2017, someone knows or has the version of

MathCad prime 4.0?

Kind regards.

Denis

February 29, 2017

Снимок.PNG

vroberts
6-Contributor
(To:nsirbu)

So now the date is Monday 3/6 instead of Friday 3/3? How much longer will it slip?

vroberts
6-Contributor
(To:DenisJaunin)

Another deadline missed.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:DenisJaunin)

Ah, they still have three quarters of an hour at headquarters before its end of the workday. But who knows they may be really dedicated and work until it's released, before their midnight...

Luc

vroberts
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

PTC chat now says Friday 3/3.

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:vroberts)

And on Friday 3/3 what will it say?

vroberts
6-Contributor
(To:RichardJ)